Diving the Mediterranean in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstone84

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on going to Southern Spain, Italy and Greece in March. Are the waters in the Mediterranean warm enough to dive comfortably, and if so what are some good diving areas? :confused:

I'll dive in Adriatic in March (5 mm wetsuit). Here are average temperatures:

January 12 C (54 F)
February 11 C (52 F)
March 12 C (54 F)
April 13 C (55 F)
May 17 C (63 F)
June 20 C (68 F)
July 23 C (74 F)
August 25 C (77 F)
September 22 C (72 F)
October 20 C (68 F)
November 17 C (63 F)
December 15 C (59 F)

However, this year the sea is warmer (south Adriatic is 14 to 15 C) and you can expect similar or more (15 to 16 C) in March.

Greece is little bit warmer.

MonSeal

if you could explain a bit more what you would call "good diving"?
It makes it much easier to recommend some places.
For "normal" dives a 7mm doublepiece wetsuit plus hood and gloves should be allright.

Are you going to be on a cruise or do you get to choose your destinations?

Estartit is one of the best spot in the Spanish mediterranean, but it is in the North. It's strictly a diving destination. On top of it, you'll be able to do some great scuba shopping. This is where the Scubastore is located, as well as many others.

The tourist season doesn't start until late May, early June in Spain's beach resorts. A lot of stores & accomodations will be closed, except on weekend.

We will be making our own itinerary as we go. It seems to me the best diving is in the North. I haven't talked to anyone who has suggested anything else. We are planning on visiting the southern coast, but maybe we should visit the northeast instead. Thank you all for the information!:D

You may consider a stop in Barcelona, a terrific city and then drive up to Estartite. From there, you're very close to Cadaques where you can visit the Dali museum. Be careful, if you drive to France to not dive the same day, because of the altitude when you pass the border. Enjoy!

Hello:We are from Estartit and we know a little bit the spanish coast, licke says Arnaud L'Estartit is a very good place for diving but during March waters are too cold like 12/13 ºC with not good visibility for the storns with north wind, it depends of the luck that you have, becouse you can find a very good week or bad weed (metereological) .
The land from Estartit , Cadaques and all the province from Girona is really nice, you will licke people and their food, you can see images from Estarit and Medes Island in our web site www.oceansub.com in the part ILLAS MEDES and COSTA BRAVA, another good place for diving more South Spain is in Cabo de Palos (aswell you can see underwater images for this place in our web site) this is a warmer places than in the north, temperature can be 14/15 ºC and outside water is more warmer too. Near this place was made the film Laurende from Arabia and some spaguetti westerns.
When Spanish people want to go diving in winter time we usually go to Canary Island that belows to Spain and temperatures are arround 18-20 ºC.
Josep & gemma :hi: :hi:

Great pictures, Gemma! I've been going to Costa Brava for 30 years (in Torre Valentina, near Sant Antoni de Calonge). I'll definitely recommend your website to show how rich the uw environment in the area is.

I've been looking for similar information for a holiday in April, the two warmest I found were Cyprus and Malta, both relatively far south so a bit warmer. Cyprus seemed to be considerably warmer than any of the other options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom