Keeping Coral and Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefkeeper

Reaction score
In younger days, I enjoyed spearfishing. Now I get a kick out of keeping fish, coral and other inverts alive in aquarium ecosystems. Does anyone have any experience in responsible collection of marine life for this purpose, and if so, where is your favorite tropical location that allows this?

Oh wow- you must love a challenge. Marine tanks are pretty high-maintainance. Larger aquarium specialty stores (like Big Als in Ontario) will have examples, supplies and information. One thing they might forget to tell you - be very, very careful about piping. Copper piping, especially new copper piping, is death to many invertebrates (fish are relatively insensitive, which is why you can treat ick with CuSO4/malachite green). No Cu tubing or copper bits on the tank setup *anywhere* and filter water through activated carbon if using tap water as a base media (ie just add the sea salts mix). Amazing how many times I've heard from seafood places that build fancy tank systems using copper pipe that end up killing their lobsters. Happened to a certain shall-remain-nameless lab too - building maintainence department installed new piping upstream of the lab, lab lost a lot of rather valuable invertebrate cultures.

Thanks for the info Cat! I do love the challenge. I have a 125 gallon fish only tank, and a 240 gallon reef tank. Both are fascinating, but the reef blows away a fish only tank. Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom