What regs do you use for tech diving and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey_Wulff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just in the process of gearing up for doubles diving with the intention of doing Advanced Nitrox / Deco courses next year. I'd like to know what regulators you use for doubles/tech diving and why? What other regs did you look at before choosing? I was initially thinking MK25/G250HP - your thoughts greatly appreciated?

Grey_Wulff

I used Dive Rite RG2500s (with the ice kit installed)

I chose these because:

1. They work well.
2. I could get them ready to go with oxygen.
3. They are easy to self-service and instructions to do so are downloadable.
4. The company is 90 minutes drive from me.
5. They match my drysuit. (JUST KIDDING... but they do)

The SP Mk25 is an excellent regulator.

I chose Zeagles to use when I take my Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures next year. Around here the Zeagles are very highly regarded for the cold water we dive. They come dry sealed out of the box, easy to get them O2 clean, affordable, great performance, easy to get parts and service for them around here. I would say that just about any of the high end balanced regs from any of the established manufacturers would do just fine for just about any application. Some just may be slightly better suited for certain things than others.

Primary: MK25/S600
Necklace: MK25/G250HP

Both of the above are great regs/almost interchangable with a slight edge (for me) in the s600.

O2: OMS Workhorse (O2 clean)
Inexpensive and perfectly adequate for 20ft and shallower. I have spent upwards of 40 minutes in deco on this reg and have no complaints.

Ean50: MK20/G250HP (O2 clean)
It was a great deal already O2 clean.

Stages/other deco: Apeks DS4/TX50 (2x)
These breathe well and seem almost interchangable with the scubapros.

I use the Mares MR22 Abyss for my doubles and deco bottles

- they are diaphragm regs, so everything except the main spring is already sealed behind the diaphragm
- they breathe well without any knobs or adjustment levers. There are easier breathing regs on the market, but I think the Abyss is a great balance between performance and simplicity.
- I like the metal body second stage and haven't had any major issues with freeflows. I dive under ice, in caves, below 200', and in 38f water (not all at the same time- yet :wink: )

So do you have any recommendation for any particular brands that offer better porting and hose routing?

I've heard a lot of people rave about Scubapro and Atomic for hose routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom