Looking For An Inexpensive U/w Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAVECOBRA

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for any suggestions for an inexpensive* u/w camera. I see these disposable ones at my LDS. Has anyone ever used these? I just want to be able to show family and friends what I see when diving.

* 300-500 $$

Thanks Dave

You can get a really good Canon camera designed, in part, for underwater use. The Canon A570IS can be purchased for $159-$180 (case will cost the same or more). The A720IS is about $200. These are point and shoot cameras, very simple to use, and produce really good pictures.

You can get a really good Canon camera designed, in part, for underwater use. The Canon A570IS can be purchased for $159-$180 (case will cost the same or more). The A720IS is about $200. These are point and shoot cameras, very simple to use, and produce really good pictures.

Actually on amazon.com A570IS is $150(see link) & the UW housing is $144(see link), total $294 with no shipping, no taxes........great buy........

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC12 Waterproof Case for Canon A570IS Digital Camera: Electronics

To the OP, see some pics with this little outfit(in my sig)...you can't go wrong IMO.........

A CoolPix camera of your taste and price and a Fantasea Housing ($170-$209), can be had for that price range. The CoolPix P5100 12 MP has been going for right around $300 or so lately. Great camera. You'd have something you could add on to later and a great topside camera.

Jack

I did not real good luck with the disposable cameras. Sometimes they would work if you got really, really close. For the most part, I got nothing but blue pictures and sometimes they just froze up at depth of 30' or so and the film would not advance so you could not get any pictures at all.

Is it worth it to get an external flash for that Canon and are there any even available for it?

That is a good deal on the 570s...I just picked two up this month but paid a tad more, no biggie.

Yes, you can add strobes with fibre optic cables. I like Inon but there are other options available. Have a look through the Sticky - you can follow the Pink Link in my sig - or contact the guys at Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros as they are fabulous with their advice.

Go to amazon.com and type in WP-DC12. It's the Canon housing for the A570IS. Can get the camera and housing $302. Great all around camera that will grow for a bit. Next step really would be a SLR camera.

For right around $500. you can have the latest 12 megapixel Canon A650IS and its underwater housing. It has 6X zoom.

Actually on amazon.com A570IS is $150(see link) & the UW housing is $144(see link), total $294 with no shipping, no taxes........great buy........

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC12 Waterproof Case for Canon A570IS Digital Camera: Electronics

To the OP, see some pics with this little outfit(in my sig)...you can't go wrong IMO.........

Thats what I am looking at getting, w/ xmas $$

Can you add a strobe?

Back
Top Bottom