Shell collecting laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have information on which countries or areas in the Caribbean legally permit scuba diving to collect live shells (mollusks), and on any charter boats there or in Florida that also allow it? Thanks. Tom H

In Monroe County Florida (Keys) you are prohibited from taking"live rock", Conch, urchins. Don't know about the rest of Florida, but I do believe same rules apply.
If you "happen to find' a dead conch - leave it right where you find it.

In Bermuda, they prosecute that sort of thing on the same order as drug smuggling, going so far as to individually search each carry-on of every person preparing to leave the country. Since visiting there, four years ago, I've made it my personal policy to leave shells and stuff alone, unless they've washed up on the beach, in the United States.

Here is a nice version for Sanibel Island: Guide to Sanibel & Captiva Shelling and Seashells

Here are Florida's rules from the Florida Wildlife Commission: Recreational Shellfish Harvesting Information

Sea Shells

Recreational Sea Shell Collecting Information
The following is a summary of regulations regarding the recreational collection of sea shells in Florida.
Depending on whether or not the harvested sea shell contains a living organism, the type of organism it contains and where you will be collecting, the recreational collection of sea shells is permitted. A valid commercial saltwater products license is required in order sell shells containing live organisms.
License Requirement: A Florida recreational saltwater fishing license (resident or non-resident, whichever is applicable) is required in order to harvest a sea shell containing a living organism.
Closed and Restricted Areas: In Lee County, you may not harvest or possess any shells that contain a live organism except for oysters, hard clams, sunray venus clams and coquinas.
In Manatee County, you may not harvest or possess more than two shells containing live organisms of any single species except for oysters, hard clams, sunray venus clams and coquinas.

Also, the harvest of certain species may be limited or prohibited in state or federal parks, national wildlife refuges, and portions of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Interested persons should contact those park areas for further information.
Prohibited Species: All harvest of the Bahama Starfish (Oreaster reticulatis) is prohibited. Possession of live Queen Conch (Strombus gigas) at any time is prohibited. It is not unlawful to possess queen conch shells in Florida as long as the shells do not contain any living queen conch at the time of collection, and so long as a living queen conch is not killed, mutilated, or removed from its shell prior to collection. Possession of conch meat or a queen conch shell having an off-center hole larger than 1/16 inch in diameter through its spire is prohibited.
Bag Limit: In counties other than Lee and Manatee, you are only permitted to keep an aggregate of 20 Marine Life species per person per day.
For unregulated species, more than 100 pounds or 2 fish per person per day (whichever is greater) is considered commercial quantities and requires a saltwater products license.

Thanks for a more complete post of rules, but always keep in mind that FWC especially down here in the Keys knows very well that
You did not find any shells/marine life on the beach. WE HAVE FEW TO NONE! Also the Sanctuary extends from the beach out 3 miles on ocean side and I believe 8 miles into the gulf.

All very good reasons not to ruin a vacation by "shelling" in the Keys.

OK still confused....

Richesb says dont take a shell even an empty one, especially from the keys

Netdoc posted set of gaming laws that say if the shell is empty, you can take it.

So, when I am diving in the Keys next month and I find an empty shell, can I keep it as a souvenier of my trip or not? I happen to take a shell from each new dive site I dive and I am filling a sand bucket with these memory shells, so I would like to taek one or two form the Keys if it is legal...

NOT IN THE SANCTUARY. You can't take a thing from the Sanctuary and you can't take Queen Conchs dead or alive from anywhere in Florida.

I've been a beach walking shell collector a lot longer than I have been a diver, usually NC beaches.
Any idea why the restriction of "a queen conch shell having an off-center hole larger than 1/16 inch in diameter through its spire is prohibited" is in there? Just curious.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom