Is it better to book liveaboard diving now or upon arrival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotsxychiq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hiya I'm wondering if it would be better to book a liveaboard dive trip in the red sea (I'm thinking Egypt but open to other suggestions) maybe to sharm or marsa alam ahead of time or once arriving? In general I would think better prices could be had once I'm already there but on the other hand I don't want to regret doing this if there's no room or the prices are even more. Any suggestions on which way is more economical? Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Analeah

Personally, I would book in advance. For me, the prices are already reasonable considering that you are getting food, accommodations, and diving all in the cost. (We did get positively gouged on rental prices, however.) Furthermore, I want to make sure we're getting a decent boat, a desirable itinerary, convenient dates, and to be sure that I won't miss the opportunity all together. But my time hasn't been that flexible - maybe yours is.

As Alicat says I would book in advance and well in advance for most of the better boats.

You might stand a chance in Sharm of picking up a boat with a short itinerary but I wouldn't bet on it. Marsa Alam I very much doubt it, the better boats are chartered by companies and could be booked up months in advance.

Definitely book in advance, and use a reputable company. In the event that your boat has a problem, a good company can rebook you on another boat. I recommend Regal in the UK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom