Water in Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Haven't posted in a while.

I like to think of myself as someone who takes good care of his gear. Had it all serviced this year (3rd year) and there was water damage in both the first and second stages.

Looking past the obvious (pushing the purge or leaving the dust cap off during the rinse, neither of which I believe I did) what the heck did I do? Any guesses?

Whatever it was, I'd like to not do it again. I really consider myself to be conscientious ... now I feel like a dummy.

Thanks!

Where have you been diving?

In some destinations (Cozumel for one) it is not uncommon to have water in the tanks that can get to the point it overflows the dip tube - if there even is a dip tube.

This is probably the most likely culprit and I have seen tanks that have drained at least a cup of water when inverted. It usually gets in the tank because of a faulty moisture separater on the compressor and/or by having water in the valve or in the fill whip during the fill.

Another possibility is water in the tank valve when the reg is connected as any water in the valve gets injected into the reg when it is pressurized.

Swish your rental tank around when you pick it up on the boat, dock or the LDS, if you hear water swishing or a dip tube rolling around, set it down and get another. Also always crack the valve on the tank briefly to expel any water before setting up your gear and connecting your reg to the tank.

Rinsing a reg is not something I'd consider doing on a boat as the rinse water gets progressively saltier and is of dubious value. Better to wait until you are back in your hotel room that night.

When you do rinse, having a small pony available to pressurize the tank is very handy and is safer than a dust cap. If you rise or soak with a dust cap in place, be sure to use a good one with an o-ring seal and the o-ring should be changed at least annually. Then be sure not to depres the purge during the rinse itself as it will allow water to enter an unpressurized reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom