USS MASSACHUSETS Dive Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During the organizational process of the Ft. Pickens Dive it seemed that there was alot of interest in a dive to the USS. Massachusets. I looked on the Gary's Gulf Diver Calendar and mine and was wondering if there is any interest in diving it on Sunday, Febuary 10, 2008. Here are the tide tables for the pass on that day:

Su 10 High 12:09 AM 0.4 6:34 AM Rise 8:32 AM 8
10 Low 7:30 AM 0.2 5:33 PM Set 9:26 PM
10 High 12:40 PM 0.3
10 Low 8:52 PM 0.0

I have not talked with Gary, so I am not sure if he can do it yet. I will call tommorow (Dec 20th) and see what he thinks. If the weather cooperates it looks like a decent day to dive the Mass. I have never dove this site, but have heard nothing but great things about it (and it is on my list of 2008 must-do dives :D). If we hit the site a little before high slack tide (about 12:40 pm) we should get some great diving in. It also looks like there isn't going to be alot of tidal movement making currents hopefully a non-issue?

So is anyone interested?????

AVE DEPTH
15 FEET
MAX DEPTH
28 FEET
SKILL LEVEL
INTERMED

visit.gif
AVE DEPTH
15 FEET
MAX DEPTH
28 FEET
SKILL LEVEL
INTERMED

visit.gif

Wjefferis,
How cold will it be? Will I survive in a 5mm + 1.5mm with hood? If I could dive on Sat and Sun, I may be in. Depends on school and I also think it depends on the availability of some Angels :wink: Maybe someone could take me to the Whiskey as well if I am not a popsicle :)

During the organizational process of the Ft. Pickens Dive it seemed that there was alot of interest in a dive to the USS. Massachusets. I looked on the Gary's Gulf Diver Calendar and mine and was wondering if there is any interest in diving it on Sunday, Febuary 10, 2008. Here are the tide tables for the pass on that day:

Su 10 High 12:09 AM 0.4 6:34 AM Rise 8:32 AM 8
10 Low 7:30 AM 0.2 5:33 PM Set 9:26 PM
10 High 12:40 PM 0.3
10 Low 8:52 PM 0.0

I have not talked with Gary, so I am not sure if he can do it yet. I will call tommorow (Dec 20th) and see what he thinks. If the weather cooperates it looks like a decent day to dive the Mass. I have never dove this site, but have heard nothing but great things about it (and it is on my list of 2008 must-do dives :D). If we hit the site a little before high slack tide (about 12:40 pm) we should get some great diving in. It also looks like there isn't going to be alot of tidal movement making currents hopefully a non-issue?

So is anyone interested?????

AVE DEPTH
15 FEET
MAX DEPTH
28 FEET
SKILL LEVEL
INTERMED

visit.gif
AVE DEPTH
15 FEET
MAX DEPTH
28 FEET
SKILL LEVEL
INTERMED

visit.gif

I'd suggest doing it as the second dive of a slightly deeper trip, and I might be interested.

Wjefferis,
How cold will it be? Will I survive in a 5mm + 1.5mm with hood?

It all depends on your cold water tolerance and how the weather is from now until then. I would guess surface water temps around 61* with warmer water at depth below a thermocline? I dive with a 6.5 semi-dry and it works just fine year-round. If my memory serves me correctly you posted earlier about taking Gary's rescue diver class right? if during the class you get out and dive and you can stand the water then the water temps will be pretty much be the same.

I would be interested. It wouldn't be the first time I have been diving in less than 60 degree water. I don't have a semi-dry but I have 3 layers of wetsuit: 1ml, 3ml and 5ml core. The Mass is an awesome sight. I did a night dive on it during my AOW training. I would love to see it again.

I would be up for it. It's on my to dive list as well.

Cool, glad to see there is some interest in this dive. I talked to Gary about the dive today (12-20-07) and he is up to it if we are. Here is some info on the site for those of you who don't know about it:

mass.gif

Site Plan

mass_sit.jpg

mass.gif

The USS Massachusetts

The oldest existing American battleship, the USS Massachusetts was one of three "Indiana" class battleships authorized in 1890 for the new "Steel Navy." Among the most powerful ships of their time, Indiana, Massachusetts, and Oregon were the first heavy-caliber, heavy-armor battleships to be built by the United States, and the first to be given hull numbers. Officially commissioned by the Navy on June 10, 1896, she was over 350 feet long, with a beam of 69 feet and a draft of 24 feet.
mass_2.jpg
mass_3.jpg
In Service

The Massachusetts saw her first battle during the Spanish-American War. She sailed to Cuba to help blockade the ports of Cienfuegos and Santiago. In the following years Massachusetts performed a variety of duties, conducting battle practice in several different ports. In 1906, she was decommissioned, but in 1910 was refitted with a caged mainmast and other modern
hardware, including one of the first shipboard wireless telegraphs. The Massachusetts was placed in reduced commission to serve as a summer practice ship for midshipmen. She also served as a gunnery practice ship for naval reserve crews after war was declared with Germany. Decommissioned

In 1919, the Massachusetts returned to Philadelphia and was decommissioned for the final time. Stripped of her guns and furnishings, the obsolete ship was towed to Pensacola in January 1921 to be used as a target for experimental artillery, and scuttled just outside the entrance to the bay. Scarred and torn, the ship sat peacefully for years in the Gulf, attracting fish and fishermen alike. In the late 1950s, several salvage companies tried to salvage the wreck but with the support of the people of Pensacola, the state filed an injunction to prevent salvage, and when the case was brought before the Supreme Court, title to the Massachusetts was awarded to the State of Florida.
mass_4.jpg

The Massachusetts Today

In 1990, the public once again rallied around the old battleship, and the site was dedicated as an underwater archaeological preserve on June 10, 1993, on the 100th anniversary of the ship's launching. Today, the 350-foot hulk is awash in emerald-green water, partially buried in a white sandy bottom. After spending 70 of her 100 years in the sea, the battleship has become a giant artificial reef.
How to Find the USS Massachusetts

The remains of the USS Massachusetts are in 26 feet of water, a mile and a half south-southwest of Pensacola Pass at Latitude 30 deg 17 min 45 sec N and Longitude 87 deg 18 min 45 sec W, in the Fort Pickens State Aquatic Preserve, which is administered by the Florida Department of Natural Resources. LORAN coordinates for the wreck are 13215.0 and 47108.9. The site is easily located because the ship's two main gun turrets are awash most of the time. The wreck also is marked by a red bell buoy, and its location is shown on nautical charts.
Site plan.
Location map.
dd_sml.jpg

Special Diving Instructions

Due to currents from the nearby pass, optimal diving conditions at the Massachusetts are at slack high and low tides. Visibility is best at high tide. Caution should be taken when sea conditions are above 2 or 3 feet, due to increased surge in the shallow water surrounding the wreck. Anchoring at the site should take into account surface currents, wind direction, and anticipated tidal change. Anchoring in the sand at the edge of the site will help to avoid fouling and losing anchors in the wreck. Minimum diving equipment should include: 1) open-water scuba equipment; 2) sharp knife; 3) gloves; and 4) a dive flag. Divers should not penetrate the hull due to structural instability and the presence of entanglements. A laminated underwater field guide is available from local dive shops to orient divers on a self-guided tour of the preserve.
Get a brochure or poster.
Return to the Preserves home page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom