Dive Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SneakyB'tard

Contributor
Reaction score
I looking for a couple of dive kayaks used or new. I liked the Scrambler style by Ocean Kayak...Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Diving from a kayak seems a bit off-base to me but I have several good friends in SoCal that do it all the time. Apparently it's 'the way' down there.
Just recently we were approached by the distributor of Diveyaks and now have one of these hanging in the shop. It looks pretty neat but I don't know anyone who's used it or any kind of kayak for diving in Ontario.
Is scuba diving from a kayak for real?
What's good or bad about it?

Diving from the Kayak is excellent. I used it for island diving and bottle dives. I would not use it for wreck diving unless the wreck was just out of shore based range. Its worth a try if not just once.

sparky30 once bubbled...
how do you get back out with all your gear on?

You don't. Take your gear off and lash it to the kayak, climb out of the water (it's not that hard) and then haul your gear up.

SneakyB'tard -

I don't have any experience with the Scrambler, but I've been out on a Drifter several times. I like the bigger size, especially if you're doing an overnight. They are solid and well built, but I grew up with folding ocean going kayaks and they rode a lot lower and sleeker in the water. The big plastic 'yaks tend to ride a little harder in the water and are a little tougher on the stomach in rough water.

Go for it - it's great fun.

Steven

Thanks, I will look that one up

The Diveyak is inflatable. Any experience on them?
They obviously have no inside storage but have several well-designed and marked areas outside for your gear.
They can also be carried in the truck of the car and are very light. But for scuba diving...?

I agree about an inflatable kayak. I have no experiance on them but they sound a bit spooky. The style I tried was this one:
http://www.oceankayak.com/products/scramblerxt.html

I just leaned back ,put my bcd on and rolled in..simple. Well simple 'ish'. Good for a 3mm but forget it in a drysuit or 7mm two piece!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom