Where do you get a strobe for a Canon A570IS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an example of a set up with strobe.
Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo Online Store
The D2000S they're listing with it is an excellent choice. You can get it alone, or with the Inon AD mount and fiber optic cable from Backscatter, Reef Photo & Video and other reputable UW photo outlets. You might try B & H or Adorama as well, though I don't know if they carry Inon. Sea & Sea optically triggered (slave) strobes are another good choice. There are many to choose from. The YS-110 is one, the YS-27 if you're on a budget.

Larry beat me to it (I agree with all he said!!!!!!)............

(note to self.......learn to type faster :wink: )

but within my post hopefully you will find a couple of extra points worthy of consideration...........without me deleting the same info Larry has already shared..............

Can it even take one?

yes.

But before I go further........first things first............I have never used a Canon A570 IS so I do not speak from experience.

That said, I can offer you two strobe options for you to begin your research with that should be compatible with your camera........the Ikelite Autoflash AF35 and the INON D2000s. Both strobes are designed to mimic your camera's preflash and therefore offer the user some form of camera controlled strobe intensity output (aka TTL). Both external flash units are available from most if not all sponsors of this web site.

Which retailer to choose? I would choose a retailer that specializes in underwater photography and that sells both brands for the most objective and experienced advise. They might also confirm the compatibility of the two above mentioned choices.

The INON and Ikelite strobes listed above are not your only options however. For a complete list of strobes that may fulfill your needs you may visit the StrobeFinder:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

For you to identify which strobes of the 50+ included in the StrobeFinder are compatible with your camera/housing you must first determine several key points. First, does your camera emit a preflash. If so (most likely), next find out how many ( a single preflash is common.......although not always). Also find out if in the camera's flash menu system you have the ability to disable any camera preflashes (if indeed they exist.........). This is not to be confused with red-eye reduction circuitry. Disabling the preflash(es) will hopefully also instruct the camera's onboard flash to still emit only a "sync" signal designed to fire a single slave flash simultaneously with the shutter event. The external strobe's light output might then be controlled manually by the user. The ability to disable or ignore a preflash function opens up additional strobe choices and options.

If you prefer to manually control your external strobe's output but your camera does not have the option of disabling the preflash, choose a strobe that has the ability to ignore the preflash (or in some cases multiple preflashes) and that offers manual duration control options.

The fact that your camera does not have a hot shoe and subsequently your housing does not offer a bulkhead for hard wired strobe attachment dismisses a whole class of strobes which should make your search just a little easier :wink:

hope this helps,
bobf

This is an inexpensive strobe by comparison.
Don't be tempted. I went through three of them in six months. It works fine except when it doesn't. First one just stopped working after 6 dives. No floods, just quit. They replaced it (3-4 weeks). Second one flooded. Ten dives. No reason, perfect o-ring, well lubed, no grit or hair, spring locks properly positioned. They replaced it. They do stand behind their product. (another 3-4 weeks) Third one quit flashing. Wouldn't flash for the test switch or slave to another flash. Four dives. I hung it up. It's sitting in my closet as a reminder that you get what you pay for. Others may have had better luck. Surprisingly, I think Sunpak is a partner co. to Sea & Sea. Their Japanese website says Sea & Sea/Sunpak.

Another "economical" solution is the Sea&Sea YS-60 kit with the Heinrichs-Weikamp adapter.

The strobe is available from Sea&Sea's clearance page for $135 and includes the strobe, a base and a handle/very simple arm. It's not the most modern strobe out there, but the power output is the same as the more modern YS-110. The YS-60 does lack many of the other features of the YS-110 though.

The H-W DA adapter will trigger it from the camera's internal flash (available for $130 from Reef Photo) and supposedly will even get the strobe to mimic preflashes. I just got the strobe kit and am still waiting for the HW adapter to arrive before trying it out, but I have been assured by various people that it will work.

All in all, under $300 for a complete setup with decent power. I figure the strobe will at least be useable as a second or fill strobe should I decide to upgrade my system in the future.

hmm, I may end up getting a reefmaster. The strobe for it is $189 Plus Ive seen it in action and like it
Don't expect anything close to the pictures you'll get with the Canon. They're in no way equivalent. Some people do use Sea Life strobes (SL960D) with other brand cameras, but I have no idea how well they work. What I can tell you from experience is that it's a lot cheaper to buy quality first and pay for it when you start than to buy cheap and replace it with quality later. I have several hundred dollars of cheap stored in my closet, never to be used again. I have also corresponded with an SB member who has been through three stages of cheap, been frustrated over and over by the picture quality and traded up within months to what he could have bought to begin with. Pennywise, pound foolish.

This is an inexpensive strobe by comparison.

I noticed that in the link provided it lists 7.5 seconds as minimum recycle time. I think that should be MAX recycle time.

Sunpak has discontinued the GFlash.

My cuz uses a Sealife 960D. It's a real nice strobe for the money and under $300.

I think it depends a lot on where you are going to take this. If the answer is upgrade my PnS every few years as new technology comes along, but it's just a hobby, and I don't want to break the bank, then a lower end strobe is fine.

If you tend to get passionate about your hobbies, and this is the first in what will likely become a long progression of upgrades, than spend a bit more $$$, and go for an Ikelite, SeaSea, Inon etc.

Reef photo can help, and they are great folks, but they don't carry much in the lower end lines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom