Province of Quebec diver users fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thumscrew

Reaction score
Good Day

I've heard stories that if you go diving in Quebec you need to purchase a ticket of some sort to be able to dive anywere there. Can any one confirm this. I've never had to pay to dive other than to a charter operator or for passing on private property to get to a dive site which I find is justified..

Thank you

Thumscrew

It has been implimented for a while but as it is the case with every bureaucracies, it is la long process and nothing is ready.

It results of a number of deaths occuring in scuba in "la belle Province" and is a recommmendation of coroners inquiring on those accidents that mostly took place on the Empress of Ireland.

I do not believe that this new diving permit will change anything in Québec but at least, it shows to the public that the gov't tried to do something. It is simply a matter of public relations, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, the regulation would split divers in 3 categories, according to diver's abilities. An annual exam would have to be written as well. That's mostly it.

You can consult : www.fqas.qc.ca which is kind of the association of divers in Québec. The offer insurances and are accountable to improve, promote and regulate underwater activities in the province. Check the link "réglementation" which is about the regulation. Obviously, the site is in french. If you want more infos, I'll be happy to help you understand the main ideas of the regulation if you do not understand french.

I spoke to a friend and Course Director for PADI. He owns a major dive store in Montréal and is part of the executive of the FQAS. He said, most likely, nothing will change for next summer.

Hope this helps ...

Apparently the new rules are not available in english, so I'll just have to pleasd ignorance and go without...
Did you know that your normal c-card wont work in France.. You have to take their test.. I just found that out from a friend of mine.. They could not accept is PADI AOW when he was on vacation there..
Interesting.. Just because they think they invented the sport and a few goofs kill themselves we have to have more rules..I don't think it will cut down on the number of deaths, but at least with the new tags the bodies will be easy to identify.

well the English link has been posted a few times. It is:
http://www.fqas.qc.ca/files/new_rules.pdf
Being in the National Capital Region I tend to dive over there a fair amount. All this is doing so far is scarying some of the Quebec divers to dive in Ontario. Quebec shops are even booking pool time in Ottawa.

sparky30 once bubbled...
Apparently the new rules are not available in english, so I'll just have to pleasd ignorance and go without...
Did you know that your normal c-card wont work in France.. You have to take their test.. I just found that out from a friend of mine.. They could not accept is PADI AOW when he was on vacation there..
Interesting.. Just because they think they invented the sport and a few goofs kill themselves we have to have more rules..I don't think it will cut down on the number of deaths, but at least with the new tags the bodies will be easy to identify.
I dont know if it has changed but there used to be no equivalent rating of a PADI cert to CMAS. BSAC, NAUI, YMCA, ACUC and a bunch of others were recognized by CMAS but not PADI. Even the old Canadian Forces regulations CFAO 50-10 did not recognize PADI for recreational diving.

It is sad but the more diving accidents happen in Ontario, the more likely it is going to become the same thing than in Québec. Gov't tends to legislate everywhere now... I don't think we are free of this threat ! Remember Harris' gov't that tried to legislate to keep divers away from shipwrecks ...

PADI and CMAS did have a close asscociation several years ago but it has since disappeared and they barely talk to each. Most likely the result of a political power play by one or the other or both.
Now CMAS most closely works with ACUC in Canada.
If you have a CMAS card, do you still need to take the test in France? The card is not hard to get.

Isn't that a little harsh?

From the information sent out by the divers and the OUC among others, scuba divers were not really targeted or mentioned although they would have been prohibited by inclusion in the catch-all phrase "Anyone who..........touches a wreck...........is guilty of an offense".

Wasn't it a group of well-meaning archeology types who proposed legislation protecting the wrecks that started that?

What eventually happened? Did it go away or was it just postponed for more study or something?

Back
Top Bottom