Photo-related MacBook vs PC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AUTiger

Contributor
Reaction score
Since my computer use profile probably matches some of you (one of my biggest computer uses is for my underwater photography hobby), I thought you might be a good resource.

My Windows XP notebook computer is about 4 years old and is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering getting a MacBook (or MacBook Pro), but I'm not really won over into the Mac camp. I am very proficient with Windows and have always been able to solve any problems that I encountered and make my computer do what I wanted.

Here's how I use my computer

• Internet
  • Photo viewing, editing, and storing (PS Elements, Nikon Capture NX, ACDSee)
  • Making photo slideshows (Proshow Gold - would consider installing Windows XP and using Windows with Bootcamp on the Mac)
  • Ripping and storing CDs
  • MS Office documents (Word, Excel)

I'm not really sold on the helpful lifestyle programs that the Mac comes with. I don't care about video chatting, garage bands, or making DVD movies.

Compared to comparably spec'd Windows computer, the Macs seem really expensive, so I need a good reason to go down that road.

Why would I buy a MacBook Pro over a MacBook? They seem very similar except for speed, memory, harddrive size, and screen resolution (yes I know, those are the most important specs). Is there any other difference between a Pro and a standard MacBook?

Anybody use Bootcamp with XP? I have XP and figure it would be easier to live with than Vista.

Any advice is welcome, particularly from those of you who have made the switch (and particularly from those of you who switched and were unhappy).

David

I'm a PC guy, and have used most generations of Macs over the years. Honestly, I think the Macs advantages in certain areas tends to be grossly overstated. As far as I am concerned, Photoshop runs on both, and the PC is quite a bit cheaper and far easier to upgrade over time.

Apple does some very cool things, but the price premium is really an issue for many.

Since my computer use profile probably matches some of you (one of my biggest computer uses is for my underwater photography hobby), I thought you might be a good resource.

My Windows XP notebook computer is about 4 years old and is getting a little long in the tooth. I'm considering getting a MacBook (or MacBook Pro), but I'm not really won over into the Mac camp. I am very proficient with Windows and have always been able to solve any problems that I encountered and make my computer do what I wanted.

Here's how I use my computer

• Internet
  • Photo viewing, editing, and storing (PS Elements, Nikon Capture NX, ACDSee)
  • Making photo slideshows (Proshow Gold - would consider installing Windows XP and using Windows with Bootcamp on the Mac)
  • Ripping and storing CDs
  • MS Office documents (Word, Excel)

I'm not really sold on the helpful lifestyle programs that the Mac comes with. I don't care about video chatting, garage bands, or making DVD movies.

Compared to comparably spec'd Windows computer, the Macs seem really expensive, so I need a good reason to go down that road.

Why would I buy a MacBook Pro over a MacBook? They seem very similar except for speed, memory, harddrive size, and screen resolution (yes I know, those are the most important specs). Is there any other difference between a Pro and a standard MacBook?

Anybody use Bootcamp with XP? I have XP and figure it would be easier to live with than Vista.

Any advice is welcome, particularly from those of you who have made the switch (and particularly from those of you who switched and were unhappy).

David

I use both platforms too. Also, I have 4 Macs in various iterations. My favorite (at this moment) is a black Macbook. Of course, the Macbook Pro gives you more options, a nice display if you go to the 17" High Def. version. If cost is a biggie look at a refurbished Macbook which can sometimes be had for under 1K. I haven't used Boot Camp successfully...in fact it didn't work as I expected it to. I will qualify this by saying I didn't put a lot of effort into it because I have a very fast Windoze computer and screwing with the native OS seemed to make very little sense.

Other than that, the Mac's can be terrific for the no-brainer types programs that come bundled with the Ilife 08 suite. Personally, my new favorite is the Iwork 08 programs (extra $) which are far better than their problem-plauged predecessors.
Final Cut Pro is also a very nice program for video.

There is one thing the Mac's are good at - looking cool on TV, the movies and at your local coffee shop. Note -silver Macbooks also attract thieves.

X

If you are happy with what you have now, why switch?

I have used both at work. I use PC's at home for the same reason you have discovered.... Cost.

One consideration is that I don't think you can upgrade Photoshop from a PC to a MAC. IOW's I think you would have to purchase a full version. I am not sure on this, so please let us know if you find out. Bottom line is that if you can't do an upgrade (which is still $180 or so) you would have to run XP on the MAC to support any software you own.

Leopard is a really cool OS. The cool thing about Macs is that since everything is integrated into the OS (utilities like backup, calendars, mail) they tend to work really well together. This is different from a PC where most utilities are third party software, or tools that Microsoft purchased and reworked with various success rates.

My bottom line was this. For $1000 you get duel core 2GHz cpu, 1GB RAM, 13inch LCD, and an 80GB HD. IOW's not much. Here is the kicker, to upgrade the hard drive to a still not so large 160GB size one pays $1500 (ohh and it's black), and you STILL are stuck with 1GB RAM, a small screen, and the 2GHz cpu? On what planet does a 80GB HD upgrade cost $500? To get a 250GB HD and 2GB RAM you are looking at $1700.

I truly wish that I did not have to factor in cost to my decision when I make purchases, but I do. I replaced our home laptop this year, and for $600 got a Toshiba with a duel core processor, 2GB RAM, 160MB hard drive, and the OS.

I just was playing around with my buddies Mac Book pro,and it's SWEET. It also cost him $2900! :11: That's a lot of money for a computer that he will want to replace in 2~3 years.

^You can buy a standalone harddrive and install it yourself without voiding any part of the warranty. You do NOT need to spend the extra money to get a blackbook. For what it's worth, don't buy any upgrades from Apple, they really jack up the prices on things like harddrives and ram.

I use a MB and love it. Absolutely adore it! It all feels so intuitive and simple! I was a PC user for years, but haven't even turned on my PC in months....

But, they both work well. Mac's cost more, known fact, undisputable. You can get a laptop from Best buy running XP for $399. 120 gig HD, 1 gig ram, dvd burner and dual core processor. The cheapest MB they have is $1099.

Why do you need a laptop? Have you thought at all about a Mac Mini? Buy a nice Dell monitor, and get yourself a cheap keyboard and mouse, and you are all set!

Why do you need a laptop? Have you thought at all about a Mac Mini? Buy a nice Dell monitor, and get yourself a cheap keyboard and mouse, and you are all set!

As a UNIX developer the Leopard OS has some tempting features. Then again, after 25 years in the computer industry, I don't enjoy developing software as much as I once did.

I'm aware that one can upgrade the macs with less expensive options, but still at $1000 as a base price for what I consider a low end computer, that is expensive.

The reason I want a laptop is simple. I do a lot of photography when I travel, and at close to 20mb per image with my D200 (RAW+JPG Fine) I want the ability to backup my images both on a HD, and on a DVD as well as to view the results on more than a tiny LCD.

I have a work laptop that I use mostly, we have a desktop at home, and a laptop for home use. It's nice to have the ability to setup where ever one wants in the house with the laptop, and my wife does so. For example I'm on my laptop right now watching the game. :D

My wife and I both use Macs. She has an iMac, and I have a MacBook Pro. Neither of us are willing to go back to Windows. I use my MBP for photo editing as well, and other basic use. I have Office on it and it works well.

The Mac's don't have viruses written for them like the windows computers do. I do use the features like iCal to keep track of my schedule and I like how it will sync with the ipod of iphone (if you use either).

I know other people who have had Mac's and they don't end up replacing anywhere nearly as frequently as Window's users. So while they tend to cost more initially, if you're not replacing it as frequently it could be a wash in terms of cost over time.

All in all, we're happy we've made the switch and don't plan on switching back any time soon.

Shane

The Mac's don't have viruses written for them like the windows computers do. I do use the features like iCal to keep track of my schedule and I like how it will sync with the ipod of iphone (if you use either).

iCarumba! I prefer my life without an "i" in front of it!

I know other people who have had Mac's and they don't end up replacing anywhere nearly as frequently as Window's users. So while they tend to cost more initially, if you're not replacing it as frequently it could be a wash in terms of cost over time.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that upgrade options are limited and costly would it? :)

Mac's have several real advantages over PC's:

First, it is a true UNIX underneath all that eye candy, so if you know how to use a unix system, you can get a lot more milage out of the apple than the PC. It also means that lots of linux and bsd open source programs show up as a mac port, or are easy to port over yourself.

Second, the apple script macro language macs it very easy to automate functions.

Third, the level of integration in Mac apps does exceed PC apps, but that gap is narrowing all the time.

Fourth, integration with peripherals is better than you'll find in PC's. Using an Ipod, airport, and other Apple centric products makes for a more unified experience especially for novices and non-technically oriented.

PC's have several advantages over Macs:

First, there's just the huge number of programs available for PC's that aren't available for mac's. This is not just limited to commercial programs, though that's where it's most obvious. The PC's also have a lot of really good shareware and freeware programs available only to the PC platform.

Second, there's an ability to upgrade internal hardware components for PC's that doesn't exist for Macs. Particularly in the desktop arena, you can upgrade every card in there without any real problems. For Mac's this is also true, but requires you hose your warranty.

Disadvantages:

Mac's: cost and somewhat more limited hardware choices

PC's: lack of stability and questionable OS future (XP versus Vista versus what? is still a pretty open question).

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that upgrade options are limited and costly would it? :)

I used my Quadra for years past it's "sell by date," and it went through several OS upgrades. During the same time, my 386sx became a 386 dx then a 486dx then a 486dx/4 then a p5.

While I popped more memory into the Quadra, it was able to upgrade the OS and run current programs just fine. The 386sx wouldn't even run Windows 95, and while the p5 would, it was choking on running the then current word processor and spreadsheet at the same time. The Quadra had a database server on it, and could do either significant statistical processing or fire up Macromedia director and do animation processing. The p5 couldn't come close to being able to do that.

The difference today is much less obvious, but historically it was pretty darn significant.

However, today, my mac on lower end hardware still out performs the PC on typical user task on higher end hardware.

But that doesn't surprise me given how much better the PC's work using BSD or Linux than Windows. I think Microsoft simply doesn't care about efficiency at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom