Getting Factory Certified to service Scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone give me some detail on getting factory certified to service my Wife & I's Scubapro gear? Most of it is still under warranty and I would like to have the mfg certification.

Thanks

Steve

Unless something has changed in the last couple years you have to be working at a scubapro shop to be able to take the factory class.
If it is not a factory class your warrenty is voided if you are not factory certified.

Can anyone give me some detail on getting factory certified to service my Wife & I's Scubapro gear? Most of it is still under warranty and I would like to have the mfg certification.

Thanks

Steve

Hello Steve,

If you are going to service the gear yourself, there is no reason to keep the warrantee up to date. Buy Oxyhacker's and Peter Wolfingers books, get a few cheapo regulators off of eBay and practice on them. Obtain the parts you need online and feel satisfied that you have saved a bundle each year by not having to fallen into the "keep up the warrantee trap."

While you are at the Peterbuilt site, buy the tools you need all at once and save on the shipping.
http://www.airspeedpress.com/newregbook.html
http://www.scubatools.com/

Next, come to the dark side and visit us in the DIY section.

couv

Before you rip your regs apart, make sure you have access to the rebuild kits and any parts you might find that you need later on (including any that you might damage while working on the reg)

Some are available on eBay, but it's never a sure thing if they have what you need at any given time.

Although I'm a big DIY fan, I'd much rather have my regs rebuilt and adjusted by someone who does them all day long and can get any parts needed, than by me.

If you're planning on DIY because you can't get good service locally, there are lots of really good shops around that will take care of it via UPS/Fedex. I beleive the SCUBAPro website has a dealer locater and you should be able to get references right here on SB.

If you can't find anybody locally, you can follow the link in my signature to my website, then click the "SCUBA Diving" link which takes you to the LDS I use (and sometimes DiveCon for).

DIY is great, it's just more difficult when parts access is spotty.

Terry

While I would like to save the $ by servicing my own gear that is only part of my motivation. I would also like to know my gear better and add to my "toolkit" of marketable skills. I do see myself supplementing my income in the future in some dive related functions. Being factory certified would be mandatory before I would consider touching someone elses gear.

While I would like to save the $ by servicing my own gear that is only part of my motivation. I would also like to know my gear better and add to my "toolkit" of marketable skills. I do see myself supplementing my income in the future in some dive related functions. Being factory certified would be mandatory before I would consider touching someone elses gear.

You might want to talk to whoever sells SP in your area and see if you can work something out with them to get training. However it's sort of a niche "marketable skill". If you're looking to learn something to actually make money with, you might want to check out other careers. There really isn't a lot of money in any of the SCUBA-related skills, unless you own a (successful) shop or somehow work your way up into the manufacturing or distribution food-chain.

If you want a technical job that pays well, look into Refrigeration and HVAC. It pays well, has a huge shortage of qualified workers, and if you're technically inclined, has a short learning curve to get a foot in the door.

Terry

Mohave, The door just hit you in the a$$. DEMA will be in nevada next year, so you will have plenty of time to research how to get qualified to take a class. If Your tight with Lds you can have them refer you. Dema does workshops throughout the convention. A scubapro rep can fill you in also, If you take the time to do it take the other manufactures class that sell in your area also. They go around and do workshops at the chain dive shops throughout the year.
To do it right you will need close to $1500 in tools from peter built. Scubapro has parts that will be around, I consider them the best. I'm sure you have been to the links from previous post by now, get the reg book and study.

I can do it but just don't find the time, most every thing I bought is still in the box.
getting the replacement parts like said before is key, stick with scubapro.

I'm just finishing up several brands of regs that I have bought in the last 10 years from rebuilding them at the right factory shop. after 200-300 dives I would just put in cabinet, buy new regs, change or replace hoses as needed. So my wife said to me last month after I just orderd some new regs, are you ever going to rebuild those or what.

Well I did'nt want to be the looser she thought I was, so I grabbed my gear and 14 regs, went on a shore dive, dropped a couple or more off at different dive shops, did another dive, and a few more stops till I had no more regs left. $1500 on those and we have 16 more all scubapro,all for different dive applications. were good for another at least 15 years.

Of course I will still buy more regs.

clean good after every dive they will last 3-4 years 200-300 dives.
I have seen two year old 25 dives look like hell. Rinse them soak them they will last.

Dr. bill here on the scubaboard has serviced old style g250hp every year, Parts are free so probably 60 a rebuild $120 a year in 10 years $1200. We talked on the charter about this.
They just came out with vintage g250hp Seen at dive shop, I told bill I like the way they looked I needed a set for my collection, (I love christmas) (thanks santa) (and there brand new)I have well over 150 vintage regs,about 80 I bought new to dive with through the years.

The next time in dive shop ask tech last time went diving, Its been awhile.

Work on gear or dive on gear, Thats the question you need ask yourself.

I agree with a lot of what VooDoo said, except SP hasn't been at the last couple of DEMAs. There are other mfg there offering classes. Id say SP has the best class (two days) and Atomic puts on the second best, followed up by Oceanic (only because you go through EVERY model they have ever made). As a whole, most regs are pretty much the same after you understand the different designs.

well i have done the SP tech course and was slightly "underwhelmed" by the info offered although the history and thought behind the designs was nice to learn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom