Top 10 things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlejohn

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was looking for a list for new hunters like they have for new divers

Something like the do's and don't

General advise for new hunters

Go get registered & read a lot here:

Spearfishing Planet - Powered by vBulletin

if possible, hook up with spearos that have some experience & learn from them.

Learn the species, bag limits & sizes for your area.

WORK on getting good at size estimation so you don't shoot shorts.

Do not attach a stringer to your gear in such a way that you can't ditch it, with one hand, if being dragged by a large predator.

If possible, take a course from someone who really knows what they're doing, such as Chad Carney of Kevin from Spearfishing Specialties. You'll learn more in a one day class than you can imagine.

Be safe.

Have fun.

Top 10's for a Beginning Spearo

10. Achieve excellent buoyancy (no inflator use)

9. Buy a gun fitted to your primary hunting location.

8. Buy the best quality gear and cry only once.

7. Watch a lot of spearing videos, seminars, and make spearo friends.

6. Target only 5 fish at first and learn to look for shapes.

5. Research and know the area’s dangers where you dive.

4. Bands are loaded and unloaded underwater only.

3. Watch your air & wear a pony bottle on every dive.

2. Never hand the pointy end up first, unless you want it thrown back overboard.

And Most Important:

1. No fish/bug is worth your life, let it pass.

Also check out Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin it has a wealth of information as well as a ton of experienced spearo's willing to help out. this is probably not the site to learn hunting on.
I learned from reading spearboard and getting out there and getting it done. experience is the best way to learn just start out slow and pick some easy targets when first starting.

probably the most important thing to remember is to check your air, it is easy when multitasking underwater to forget to check your air. I personally do not dive without a pony bottle and think it should be standard issue for hunting as it is easy to work hard down there especially when things do not go as planned.

It really is important to monitor your air while hunting. I am new to spearfishing (about 15 dives with a gun in hand) and I am shocked when I look at my bottom time for dive when I actually shoot something. (much less bottom time than normal) If you shoot a fish especially a big one you will burn up some air. Dealing with the fish after the shot can get interesting real fast. I am still trying to master the stringer part of things. Always string the fish BEFORE you remove the shaft. I lost a nice dog snapper last week because I didn't do this.
Be safe. Good luck.

Buddy up with an experienced spearo. You will have a real long learning curve any other way. And an expensive set of lessons.
All this after becoming an experienced diver, where all of the "diving stuff" is second nature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom