First Time Spearfishing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I'm down in FL on vacation and set up a charter with a local dive shop. The charter ended up being different than the shop expected (different location and deeper) and offered to take me with them on a spearfishing trip they were doing on the day after christmas. I have never been spear fishing and thought it would be a pretty neat experience. So, my question is... Does anyone have any suggestions for a first time hunter? and maybe a list of fish I'm allowed to shoot? I'll try google but don't know if I'll come up with anything. Thanks in advance!

Hello all,
I'm down in FL on vacation and set up a charter with a local dive shop. The charter ended up being different than the shop expected (different location and deeper) and offered to take me with them on a spearfishing trip they were doing on the day after christmas. I have never been spear fishing and thought it would be a pretty neat experience. So, my question is... Does anyone have any suggestions for a first time hunter? and maybe a list of fish I'm allowed to shoot? I'll try google but don't know if I'll come up with anything. Thanks in advance!

1) Fishing License - available at Wal-mart and some marinas.
2) Basic Spearing regs 101 - mostly what your not allowed to shoot in the head
3) Basic Fishing regs - most of what you can shoot in the head
4) Fish list by Common Name with pictures of what they look like.

I run with a few simple rules. Shoot only what I am willing to eat; Don't shoot anything I have to rodeo; be very aware of who or what is around me. :)

Thanks for the info. Sadly the weather didn't work with me and I was unable to go. But at least now I know for next time. Well... maybe tomorrow.

Learning to shunt is like learning to drive, ski, etc.
Learn from an experienced hunter. Buddy up, don't carry a gun and watch a few times. Ask alot of questions.
Takes time, experience as a diver, patience to be safe & sucessful. Great sport and it feeds my family.

No I didn't get to go. Actually, I'm getting rather annoyed. I've been in FL for 2 weeks now and haven't gone diving ONCE! Every time I try something goes wrong. Be it the weather, a lack of a charter, or whatever... I can't seem to get wet. I paid for the charter and gear for the one trip, never got to go and have been waiting for them to come through on thier promise to get me on another... but I'm running out of time. I think I'm gonna try a different area. Englewood seems to be a bit lacking in the dive scene. I tried when I was on the east coast and couldn't get anything goin over there either. Oh well... I'm just crossing my fingers for SOMETHING! Anyone got any suggestions?

If I may ask, which dive shop are you working with?

.... I think I'm gonna try a different area. Englewood seems to be a bit lacking in the dive scene.

You aren't calling the right numbers. Git in yer car and drive 2 hours east to West Palm Beach. Call directly to Jim Abernathy's Scuba Adventures, or PuraVida, or any of the other dozens of boats in West Palm and go diving. Tomorrow's dive conditions are flat calm, 80 weather, 70 feet of viz for 12/29. So will it be nice on 12/30 and I know one boat even doing a Midnite New Year's eve dive! But if you sit at home, don't post it on here that you can't get out! There's boats going every day!

Back
Top Bottom