Redneck in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HEY Dixie Divers - as promised here is the beginning of the trip report on an Alabama Redneck goes to Roatan....

Day one Cocoview December 22, 2007

Redneck in Roatan – After being too excited to sleep, I woke up at 2:00 a.m. and checked by gear and bathing suit selection just one more time. Headed out to the Mobile Regional Airport at 4:30, way too early but again I was really excited. The flight left for Atlanta at 7:45. All four of our party made it to Atlanta had Sake Bloody Mary’s at the Airport piano bar then went to the Delta gate. We had made the reservations three months ago but for some reason the travel agent failed to get us seat assignments. Two of us were able to get seat assignments and my parents were told that they had to wait for their seats. Our first problem; Delta had overbooked the flight and to make a long painful story short, my parents did not make the flight. They were initially told that they could fly out the following day but later (after my flight had already left) they found out that the flight the next day was also a no go - overbooked. Delta sucks and I won’t even tell you about the nasty email I sent the travel agent. So Mom and Dad headed back to Alabama.

Flight 313 landed in Roatan right on time at 2:45 that afternoon. Hats off to Coco view, their representative Nora was standing right on the other side of the Immigration’s check in. She had already pulled our luggage and had it waiting on a cart with all the other Coco View Guest. She directed us to a van which loaded all the guest, our luggage went separately, and we took the short trip to the ferry boat which would delivery us at the back dock of the resort. The minute we pulled up to the dock, we were met by the Manager – Liz and her assistant.

As we walked from the boat to the clubhouse, we were directed to look at the blackboard in the passage way, it had our boat assignments for diving - already made. We were immediately given rooms and asked to complete paperwork for the dive shop and the resort in our rooms. A late lunch was waiting in the dining room since our Delta flight did not serve a meal. The check in process took all of five minutes and that was for 12 people.

After completing a short release and some basic information we were able to drop all our dive gear in a locker directly behind the boat that we had been assigned to and head to the bar. YEAH! We met other divers and had a cold Salva Vida, which we were told means “Life Preserver”, that is one of three local beers on the menu. Beer here is two dollars but several specials make it a dollar. It is very good actually. They also have standards like Miller Lite but the local beer seemed more fitting. We had several beers, played pool and listened to dive tales from all over the world. Even Santa Claus was there.

At Coco View all the rooms not only face the water but if you drink too many and are walking back to your room, you might fall in the water. It is that close. The walkways are decks over the water in many places. The dining area/bar/bird cage/pool room/library makes up the clubhouse and is rustic wood plank and sugar cane with hammocks everywhere. If you are looking for great dive conversations sit at the bar. If you are looking for quiet hammock rocking and the chance to read a great book – like Dominos by Donna Calhoun – you can find that also. As for romance – yea, that is here too!

Day Two – Diving in Roatan December 23, 2007

Again - up way too early and way too excited. Breakfast is served at 7:00 a.m. and all divers are required to attend an orientation to the property the first day at 8:30 a.m. The orientation takes from 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The orientation includes an overview of the property including all the services of the dive shop and photo shop. We were also visited by Tim the video and picture expert. Everyone offered services to fit all your needs. The representative from the reef conversation program came in for a five minute visit and to let us know what they are doing to rebuild the reefs. Later in the afternoon we would find out how important that project is first hand and immediately made a donation to the program. The orientation also included a checkout dive in ‘the front yard’. Coco View sits on a lagoon that is protected by two walls: Coco View Wall and Newman’s Wall. Inside the lagoon or cove is the wreck of Prince Albert. The checkout dive was showing us how to follow the transit system to the Prince Albert and the two reefs. It is a good dive and very important for the night divers and the drop off dives.

We had an excellent lunch – food is very good here, it is full meals each time – not just a sandwich which some resorts do. Then at 2:00 p.m. we were off for the first boat dive. We went to the French Cay Bank and saw a lot of coral but honestly, we were disappointed with the marine life. Fish were few and far between, and the ones we saw were small. We saw a large crab and a single lobster but that was about it. But the water was warm and the current was zero. The second dive was a drop off dive of the Coco View Wall. The boat drops you in the water and then returns to the dock. You dive your way back to the front yard. The wall was very cool. One of my goals was to see Seahorses and I got to see a beautiful green and black one.

We had dinner (fish, lots of veggies and fruit – desserts are also excellent) and decided to make a night dive. I’ve always been a little scared of night diving – scary experience in Turks and Caicos with a shark– this time it was much better. We followed the transit system out to the front yard and had a good dive. Saw more fish than we had during the day but still not a lot of size to them.

A couple of drinks in the bar and more good conversation with folks from the Great Lakes and Arizona and we were worn out – off to bed.

Day Three December 24, 2007

We dove the 8:00 a.m. dive from the boat. The vis here is around 50’ when you get away from the shore a bit, 25’ on either of the walls or the Prince Albert wreck. The reefs are all a10-20 minute ride to the site. On the morning dive we went to John’s Place – a wall dive which was good. The second dive was the drop off dive at Newman’s wall which is the right side of the pass coming into Coco view lagoon. I did get to see another Seahorse – COOL.

The afternoon dive was to Inside-Out a reef about 18 minutes from the resort. It was another good dive. Thanks to Mal the Dive Master I was able to see a white Seahorse with brown bands. The second dive was a drop off dive to Coco View wall. By now we have made several observations. One- the marine life is minimal. Some small stuff but not a lot of big fish. Even the Parrot fish are small compared to other places in the Caribbean. Two – the reefs are not as colorful as some other places I’ve been in the Caribbean but the coral is large. More Black Coral which is beautiful. Three – Coco View is all about divers. Almost everyone here is a diver and that’s what you do – DIVE. Even the Parrot in the bar screams – DIVE DIVE DIVE!

The night dive tonight was VERY COOL! Other than some mask flooding problems, it was excellent. We saw three large grouper – around 50 pounds each. We also saw two of my favorite marine life – Octopi. One was under the wreck – 55 ft. He/She was a long skinny guy about three feet. The second one was playing hidin-go-seek on the top of the wreck trying to act like she was just another rusty piece of metal, but her eyes never left me for a minute. Great fun. The water is warm even at night but the vis is still around 25’.

Merry Christmas Donna. I am GREEN with envy. Enjoy the trip and get back home safely. Bummer about your parents.
Howard

sounds like an excellent trip. One question though, is the viz a little down due to the "winter" months or is this the norm for the area? regardless i'm sure it is still beautiful.

Day Four – December 25, 2007

Here is the deal about Christmas at this vacation resort. The dive staff works the morning dive and then they get to leave to be with their families, so there are no afternoon boat dives. We didn’t know this coming down but luckily we have all the diving you want right out the front door – literally steps away from the room. I had actually sent an email to Coco View asking what they would be doing for Christmas as far as changes to the regular schedule and was told their wouldn’t be any but my hat is off to Liz for giving her staff the time off. Lesson here is anytime you are traveling during a holiday, check ahead of time for staff and schedule changes due to the holiday.

So the morning dive was on and it was Mary’s Place. We had been told that this was one of the best dives and now know why. This reef had been closed off from all activity for four years to help it rebuild. You can really tell the difference. Plus Mary’s Place has these caverns that you can swim through. It is deep but not really wide. Very nice. Then we did a drop off dive from Newman’s Wall back to the resort. We saw more marine life on Mary’s Place than anywhere else and the coral is beautiful. Newman’s Wall is also amazing.

The afternoon dive we went back out to Newman’s Wall. We had seen a break in the wall at the end of the morning dive but didn’t have enough air to explore it as much as we wanted to, so out we swam. It was amazing that with only two divers in the water, what you can see. It was a relaxed and exciting dive, just me and my buddy.

Then we did another night dive on the wreck. This was one of the best dives I’ve ever made. No mask problems this time, I figured out that I need to put my mask under my hood – duh! So the dive was wonderful. Again, two Octopi, large grouper and tons of shrimp and crabs. I was finally enjoying a night dive.

The day ended with a few cold beers and a great nights sleep! What a way to spend Christmas.

I'm enjoying the reports. I hope you post some pictures.

I had the same experience with Delta this fall while traveling from Seattle back to East Tennessee. Every connection I made they announced they were overbooked and had to ask people to stay behind.

Sounds like an awesome adventure. It is great that you are having so much fun!! When will you be coming back home?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom