Which First stage should I use ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMJ1

New
Reaction score
I am having problems breathing with an Oceanic SP First stage and Alpha 8 Second Stage. I took it in for a service last week and I was told that it was fine, but on Saturday I had problems and had to abort 2 dives after a couple of minutes not being able to breath correctly.

I was told by a local dive shop that this was probably due to water temp and that cold water would cause me to breathe more rapidly and therefore feel that I was out of air. Although I agree with the cold having an effect, the average temp on Saturday was 20 C, and with a borrowed Regulator on Sunday I dived at 14 C with no problems. Both temps according to my Dive computer.

On Monday I purchased a second hand Oceanic DX-4 with a Delta 3 second stage. As a comparison I put the Alpha 8 onto the DX-4 at the same time and compared the two second stages. The Delta 3 is adjustable and defiantly breaths a lot easier, but it confirmed that the Alpha 8 needs a service. Just to confirm that that the Alpha 8 was the problem I tried it on a Dacor Eagle First stage I had in the draw, I was expecting it to be just as difficult to breath, but to my surprise it was really smooth.

So here is the big question. I have a choice of the three First Stages, and would like to know if you had the choice of putting the Delta3 onto the Dacor Eagle or Oceanic DX-4, which one would you choose.

Any ideas :confused:

Thanks, but I already own both regulators so there is no further purchase involved. The dacor eagle is also a balanced diaphragm regulator and is fitted with a 300bar din. This regulator also seems to be off the market, or upgraded.

Basically I need to put it all together before I take it for a service, but I am not sure which of the two is the better option.

I am having problems breathing with an Oceanic SP First stage and Alpha 8 Second Stage. I took it in for a service last week and I was told that it was fine, but on Saturday I had problems and had to abort 2 dives after a couple of minutes not being able to breath correctly.

I was told by a local dive shop that this was probably due to water temp and that cold water would cause me to breathe more rapidly and therefore feel that I was out of air. Although I agree with the cold having an effect, the average temp on Saturday was 20 C, and with a borrowed Regulator on Sunday I dived at 14 C with no problems. Both temps according to my Dive computer.

On Monday I purchased a second hand Oceanic DX-4 with a Delta 3 second stage. As a comparison I put the Alpha 8 onto the DX-4 at the same time and compared the two second stages. The Delta 3 is adjustable and defiantly breaths a lot easier, but it confirmed that the Alpha 8 needs a service. Just to confirm that that the Alpha 8 was the problem I tried it on a Dacor Eagle First stage I had in the draw, I was expecting it to be just as difficult to breath, but to my surprise it was really smooth.

So here is the big question. I have a choice of the three First Stages, and would like to know if you had the choice of putting the Delta3 onto the Dacor Eagle or Oceanic DX-4, which one would you choose.

Any ideas :confused:

If you regularly dive in 10C or colder during periods of the year, you should go top notch anyways. We use Oceanic FDX10 + Delta4 as school gear and cannot do with anything less. In my humble opinion all of your regs are just fine under your conditions and may or may not need an adjustment to perform great.

Back
Top Bottom