Anyone went on a Nile Cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotsxychiq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking for advice or info on nile cruise. This will be my first time in Egypt and I'm wondering if anyone has done a nile cruise. If so, did you like it, how long did you do the cruise for and around how much did it cost? Any other recommendations for things to see/do other than the pyramids? Thanks very much!

Sincerely,
Analeah

P.S. I read it's illegal to dive in the nile is that true?

first off..the Nile is pretty dirty and has some icky parasites in it...I don't think you would want to dive it.

I did a Nile cruise in 2000 and loved it. We didn't make it all the way up to Cairo to see the pyramids - did that by bus later - but we did go see the valley of the kings, valley of the queens, Luxor, Aswan and a few other high lights...it was a great trip that I hope to do again some day. Back then I think I paid something like 1600DM (about 900 or so USD) including Flight to Luxor from Germany, the 1 week cruise (all inclusive), tours, Bus ride to Hurgahda, 4star hotel for one week (Again all inclusive) in Hurghada and the flight back to Germany.

Done it twice and would love to go again. But it needs good company or else its not really worth it. You can either go from Luxor to Aswan or Aswan to Luxor it takes like 4 day and 3 nights as far as i remember. Not clear about the pricing but i remember the name of the cruise ship "Moon Goddess"

I'm curious about this myself. I'm going to Egypt in April for a 15 day trip (3 nights in Cairo, 7 nights on a Nile Cruise, and 3 nights in Hurghada). I wasn't planning on diving the Nile since I knew it was pretty dirty - hadn't heard anything about legality though. I was hoping to get a dive or two in while I was in Hurghada. I've heard Red Sea dives are awesome.

We did a 3 night cruise from Luxor to Aswan. We showed up in Luxor and walked the boardwalk until we found a boat with available spaces. We ended up going in to a small travel agency on the boardwalk because boat-hoping wasn't getting us anywhere.

We paid $50 per night per person and that included all meals which where quite good! This was not one of the best boats but it was pretty darn comfortable (big rooms, comfy bed), with a great staff, enjoyable guests, and fun entertainment. And all meals along with a comfy place to sleep included for $50 per day? Yeah, it pretty much kicked booty and was one of the highlights of our trip (and I'm actually pretty picky). :)

There is SOOOO much to see in Egypt. I suggest that you google Egypt Itinerary and you'll find a basic plan to work off of, depending on your time and interests. I also recommend picking up a copy of Rough Guide for Egypt - it is the travel book I used and was tremendously helpful.

Also, consider hiring guides while you are there, even if you negotiate with a taxi to take you around for the day. There are so inexpensive (when hired there) and can make for a much more relaxing trip. A good agency to fall back on is Thomas Cook; though not inexpensive you get what you pay for in terms of quality.

Our total cost for a 1 week trip, including airfare from Tel Aviv was $1800. For everything, for a WEEK.

Nile is nasty - you wouldn't want to touch it let alone dive in it.

Our total cost for a 1 week trip, including airfare from Tel Aviv was $1800. For everything, for a WEEK.

I must clarify the this was the cost for TWO people (my husband and I).

cool thanks so much for the info! 1800 for two people in including airfare? that wounds perfect. although i found out i may be meeting two other people in cairo. they have about 6 days so we are thinking of doing maybe a 3 or 4 day cruise. we would love to see the valley of the kings and any other highlights that are possible on a 3 or 4 day cruise. then spend another couple days seeing the pyramids in cairo. after that my friend and i will try to check out a 3 or 4 day diving cruise or maybe a week long depending. oh and the blue hole! happy new years and thanks again for all the info!

If you drink make sure it isn't a dry boat!! We did a 3 day Aswan Luxor trip, and found out too late that the captain didnt allow alcohol. Most other boats have a bar on the upper deck. The Nile cruise is way touristy but also a great way to see rural egypt. Also provides a nice respit due to the riggors of independant travel in Egypt.

I was in Cairo Dec 2nd 2007. Yes, One month ago.
I only was there off a cruise ship, so 7 AM to 10 PM one day only was all I had. We did see the pyramids, and of course they are well worth it.

On the Nile we were invited to sail on a Felucca boat and were served lunch. It was wonderful, but as everyone said not diveable.

Shopping is great in Cairo and very low prices.

Have fun and be sure to check my profile pix. :winky:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom