Video on A570is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, with the christmas deneiro I have decided to get an underwater camera. At first I thought, "Go with the reefmaster mini. You can take it diving and skiing and hiking and wherever else you go and not worry about it." Then I read some really bad reviews of it here (more bad than good). So then I was torn. For months I wanted to get the reefmaster mini because it seemed so perfect.

But you guys here have sold me on the a570is. It seems like a great land camera (which I could use) and a great underwater camera (as pictures have shown). I am now left with two questions to seal the deal. 1.) Can someone please point me in the direction of some sample underwater video from the camera? 2.) How fast does the sd card need be in order to keep up with the video? Anyone who owns the camera please respond as I am a scientific guy and real life experiences and real life data are the way to my heart. :D

...3.) does the underwater housing have FULL control of the camera? Sorry if that's a silly question but this is my first underwater camera lol.

I've done video on a regular SD card. The ones that ou can 2 for $20 or so. Things came out pretty good. The video processing of the computer is very important though. I can not watch video on my computer. Had to convert the files so I could put them on my PSP. A faster card may be better but don't stress over it. If you can find them at a great price go for it, otherwise I wouldn't.

As for controls, there's not much to it. Just press the button to start and stop. With the Canon brand housing, you can control everything so you can make changes if needed.

I just got the same camera & I am very pleased. I have not taken any under water videos with it but have topside & they look good. I just have a few 1G Kingston SD cards and they have no problem keeping up with the video. The housing does give you access to the entire range of buttons. One more thing that you might want to consider (so I have been told) is a magic filter. Just google it to see some of the pictures. They are apparently great for video where your strobe will not work. I ordered a set (40.00 USD) but missed the UPS guy so I have to wait until tomorrow to play with them. If you want me to send you a land side video just send me an email philsweet@mdirect.net & I will reply.

Phil I appreciate the offer however I've seen plenty of topside video from the camera just none underwater. Let me know how those filters are though!

-Jim

...3.) does the underwater housing have FULL control of the camera? Sorry if that's a silly question but this is my first underwater camera lol.

here's an album with just video shot with it...........So far, I've only used AWB but will start evaluating WB in the future........I use a standard 1 or 2 gig SD card(I buy them from buy.com for $10 a gig) & have no problems....also, all controls are accessable with the Canon housing.......click link & enjoy it(remember the camera & UW case can be gotten on Amazon.com for under $300 US).....................GEAUX TIGERS............

GEAUXtiger/CZMUWvideoNov07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

EDIT: here's more shot with it including one from a nite dive....

GEAUXtiger/LCthursday071207 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks diver, just what I was looking for. One more question. Are you using a strobe on your pics?

Thanks diver, just what I was looking for. One more question. Are you using a strobe on your pics?

Only the camera's internal flash ie no external strobe.....

Only the camera's internal flash ie no external strobe.....

I'm glad this thread was started because I just bought a new Canon A720IS and Canon underwater housing, and took some underwater video in St. Croix, U. S. Virgin Islands. I used a 4 GB high speed (Class 6) SD card and took some great video. The combined time of all clips was 16 minutes and 20 seconds, and that was after taking 710 pictures (8 MP) using the same SD card.

My problem is figuring out how to combine all of the video clips into one smooth, continuous movie and then saving it. When I tried Microsoft Movie Maker with video and music, the Movie Maker produced a very nice video, but locked up when I tried to save it to my computer and to a DVD. The file size was way under the 4.7 GB that most DVDs will accommodate, so space should not be an issue.

I have almost reached the conclusion that in order to get serious quality underwater video that is easy to reproduce, then I will have to buy some serious video equipment, but I'm trying to avoid that.

Any suggestions on how to save video from the latest Canon digital cameras? Do I need to convert pictures to another format, and how is that done? Any suggestions on software?

I know answers to my questions are not exactly what Medic0506 is looking for here, but I hope this will help him and others who read this.

Thanks!

How many minute video can you take with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom