First pics (topside) D300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, this is going to be hard. Lots of expensive lenses and a lot more practice. I didn't have time to play with settings today, so I just left it on the base settings for "P" mode and let the camera do the work while I tried out both lenses (35mm e-bay special and $750 18-200VR) This DSLR stuff is complicated compared to the little SP-350 and there's definitely going to be a learning curve. Overall, I'm very pleased. Speed? Wow! Clear zoom shots at 4 times the zoom I have on the SP. 8 gig CF card means shoot all day, no worries. Here are a few of my crummy first tries, but they'll at least show what it can do in the hands of a bozo. These are all hand held. No tripod.

First, here's one of the neighborhood cats that likes to come and hang out in our yard to chase squirrels and drink from the pool. We call him Pesky. This was taken at 200mm from about 40 feet away, and I cropped it down to about 10% and dropped the pixel count from 300 to 75, as I have done with all these pics.
DSC_0084cropps.jpg

A couple of pictures of the moon
12-25-07Moonshots024cropsm.jpg

12-25-07Moonshots023cropsm.jpg

Finally, for comparison, about the best the SP could do on a moon pic.
MoonShots007crop.jpg

Without doubt, the SP is easier to shoot. It has great DOF for party portraits, and the auto settings work really well for just running around. Once I figure out what works on the D300, though, no contest. As well it should be at 10 times the price and still counting.

Nice first pictures! I just played around with my sisters new DSLR and I was amazed too at the abilities! Took some amazing shots just on my first day! Maybe one day! Keep practicing!

Larry:

So you've now crossed over to the "dark side" using DSLRs like the rest of us. Welcome to the cult. Have you got an underwater housing for it yet? I just upgraded from my Canon 300D to the new 40D. The Aquatica housing should be ready to ship within a few weeks!

Doug

Larry:

So you've now crossed over to the "dark side" using DSLRs like the rest of us. Welcome to the cult. Have you got an underwater housing for it yet? I just upgraded from my Canon 300D to the new 40D. The Aquatica housing should be ready to ship within a few weeks!

Doug

Great....Now lost our leader...Great shots Larry

Don't worry. It'll be at least my birthday (May) and more probably next holiday season before we're ready to triple the ante on this monster.
a. Haven't a clue what I'm doing
b. UW lenses will cost as much as the camera did
c. Unless I go with Ikelite, the housing, ports, gears, ttl converter...will be triple the price of the camera.
d. I still like the light weight and versatility of the SP underwater. I just wish it were faster and had a better lens.

Still fooling around. Played with some manual settings to see if I could get better resolution on close-ups. I tried cranking up the Aperture to f14 and 1/250 for the shutter and took this shot of a sprig of Rosemary from about a foot away at 200mm on the 18-200VR. Not bad for a non-macro lens.
12-25-07testpics028cropsm.jpg

Had to run to the camera store for a Lowe Pro bag and a UV filter for my pricey lens, so while I was there I dropped $29.95 on a 52mm 10X close up diopter to fit my e-bay 35mm f2.0. Tried it on at the camera store to make sure it worked. With 10x, it's only good from about 3" and closer, but it sure transforms that 35.
12-25-07testpics049cropsm.jpg

12-25-07testpics044sm.jpg

:eyebrow:

You are doing well Larry.

You seem to be doing a lot of the same stuff I started shooting at first, Now I am shooting wildlife and everything I can find out doors.

My Last lens (15mm) fisheye will be here i another week, And my housing tomorrow so then the fun will begin

My Last lens:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: (15mm) fisheye will be here i another week, And my housing tomorrow so then the fun will begin

Thanks, Jim. Looking forward to seeing how you do with the new toy. You're really ripping right along-housing on the way. Single, I presume:rofl3: I'm sure it's your last lens, if it's your last dollar, from your last pocket. I can see where this is going. And we thought diving was an expensive pastime!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom