Oly 5050 vs. Canon A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anybody used both cameras and have an opinion on which they like better and why?
Thanks

Anybody?
Thanks

Haven't used the Oly 5050 but just posted my photos from the A570IS. Very happy with it. $300 for camera and housing on Amazon is hard to beat....

The 5050 was the Mercedes of the "C" series cameras but keep in mind that it is older technology at this point. I cant speak for the Canon A570IS.

If you are looking at buying a camera/housing at this point in time then go with current technology. The Canon A650IS is a 12 megapixel camera and with the Canon housing can be had for about $500. For about $100. more you can have the Canon G9 in a Canon housing. Both cameras have the same CCD but the G9 has more features such as a hotshoe, RAW capability and a larger monitor.

There is no reason to buy older technology other than to save a couple of hundred dollars. Newer technology usually equals faster shutter speeds, better CCD's and more.

I don't know much at all about digital, but what I have read is that the Olympus 5050 has a 1.8 setting which is supposedly faster than the newer cameras. I didn't know if that was worth the offset of smaller megapixel vs. of the newer models and their newer features and larger megapixels????

In addition, the Olympus 5050 and housing, selling used on Ebay actually cost approx. $400-$500 which is more than the Canon A570 and housing and about the same as the Canon A650 and housing that Gilligan spoke about above. Is the 1.8 setting on the Olympus worth that?

In addition, the Olympus 5050 and housing, selling used on Ebay actually cost approx. $400-$500 which is more than the Canon A570 and housing and about the same as the Canon A650 and housing that Gilligan spoke about above. Is the 1.8 setting on the Olympus worth that?

Not in my opinion.

The F1.8 is the largest lens opening of the 5050. That translates to being able to operate in a lower light conditions. If you are using the camera's strobe and/or a slave strobe then the 1.8 lens setting doesn't matter as you would not likely use it.

Newer cameras have made progress with less digital noise at higher ISO settings which enable you to use ISO 200 to get more ambient light in lieu of ISO 60, 80 or 100 on non-strobe shots.

The 5050 has a 35 to 105 mm lens and the A650IS has a 35 to 210mm lens.
The 5050 has a 1.8" monitor and the A650 has a 2.5" monitor (G9 is 3").
The 5050 has a 3X zoom and the A650IS has a 6X stabilized zoom.
The 5050 has RAW and a hot shoe and so does the G9.

The higher megapixel camera will give you greater leeway if cropping photos.

Compare looking at a 1.8 inch monitor underwater to a 2.5 inch one!

I'll stick to my principle of not buying older technology, especially at high prices or prices equal to new technology.

Well ...I own/use 2 C5050's, an Ike housing with double Ike 125 strobes. Wouldn't trade them for anything short of a DSLR and ain't ready to make that jump quite yet.

Bottom line is that if you aren't enlarging prints greater than 8" x 10" the resolution of a well exposed C5050 shot is more than adequate. It's more about the final result than the make/model of the camera anyway. I've won photo contests in which my competition was from much higher Mpixel cameras.

In the end you probably can't go wrong with either of the two cameras mentioned. Make your choice and run with it. Shoot a lot of pics and get as much experience as you possible can with the camera of your choice.

I have used both. Just sold my last 5050 (enter sniffling here - boy, I loved those cameras!).

I currently have two 570s that I use for courses and in our hire fleet. Wonderful little units. I love the Canon A series.

The Canon's are not as easy to attach extra lenses to, but if you aren't doing that it's not an issue. All of the Canon housings easily take external strobes.

Don't think you can go too wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom