First pics with Canon A570IS (no strobe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choyster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Santa got me the A570IS and the WP-DC12 underwater housing for Christmas this year. I actually opened it up early and took it out to Catalina last weekend. Here are some photos from the dives.

Picasa Web Albums - Andy - Catalina 12-2...

I actually spent a great deal of time reading the thread on UW cameras for newbies and wanted to say thanks to everyone who recommended the A570. I'm very happy with it. Most of these photos were taken with the following settings:

ISO80
WB set to Underwater
Flash set to -1
No external strobe

Most of the photos were taken in 40' - 70' of cold water (mid 50s) and 35' of viz.

A few thoughts on the camera:
1. Use the best batteries you can find. The recycle time was very quick when the batteries were fresh. Not so good during the third dive....
2. VERY positively boyant. I'm definitely going to weigh it down before the next trip. I cliped it on to my BC and was constantly grabbing for the thing only to find it near my head.
3. Setting WB is crucial. I hacked the camera to shoot RAW figuring I could always edit the WB in Picasa afterward. Luckily, I also set the WB to underwater because editing the WB on the underwater RAW file isn't nearly as good.
4. Take a photo of your contact info in case you lose your camera. Someone on the ferry over told me this one and I must admit, it's great advice just in case.

If you are considering the A570IS, feel free to PM me with any questions about it. Now I gotta see if Santa has a Inon D2000 left in his bag for me....

Andy

very good shots...........speaking of the + buoyancy, I like it---I know right where it is @ all times, lol--I'm leaving mine as is........when you get a strobe, let us see the results(I'm actually enjoying not having to put up with an arm sticking out...).............

Nice shots, Santa also brought me an A570is...We are going to Coz Jan5th. I will be happy if my shots turn out as nice as yours did. I ordered a magic filter as well so we will see how it all comes together. Have a wet New Year!

Thanks! I think the camera's internal flash is fine for macro but probably benefits greatly from an external strobe on all other shots. Let me know how that magic filter works out for you as I'm tempted to get one but don't want to lose the f-stop.

That reminds me, one other technical detail is that I shot almost exclusively in Aperture Priority with it dialed all the way down to f2.6 in order to minimize shutter speed and maximize focus on my subject.

Nice pics!
Does Canon make a weight for the housing?

Thanks for posting these, man. Hopefully (cross my fingers), my a570is will be in tomorrow and the case shortly thereafter. Any tips on it you think I should know?

Thanks for posting these, man. Hopefully (cross my fingers), my a570is will be in tomorrow and the case shortly thereafter. Any tips on it you think I should know?
The only other thing I can think of that I didn't already mention is that you can hack the A507IS to do some cool things like take pictures in RAW format by downloading a little bit of software on to the SD card. Click on the link below for more info.

CHDK - CHDK Wiki

The only other thing I can think of that I didn't already mention is that you can hack the A507IS to do some cool things like take pictures in RAW format by downloading a little bit of software on to the SD card. Click on the link below for more info.

CHDK - CHDK Wiki

Thanks for the link.........another question, what mode did you use for the pics you linked??...TIA........

Thanks for the link.........another question, what mode did you use for the pics you linked??...TIA........
Aperture Priority with f-stop set to 2.6. PM me if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer as best I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom