PDA

View Full Version : New Suunto D4

buddhasummer
December 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Does anyone know if the new Suunto D4 has a user replaceable battery? I have checked out Suuntos site but they make no mention of this. Thanks

micklock
December 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
If you go under FAQ & helpdesk on Suunto web site there is a question about battery compartment replacement it says there are kits available with battery, cover and o-ring.

buddhasummer
December 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
ok but does it actually say there is one for the D4? on the page I read it does not list the D4 as one of those. Can you provide me with a link....thanks

Scared Silly
December 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
My guess is that it does as all of Suunto watches / dive computers have user replaceable batteries. We own a bunch of both watches and dive computers which are all user replaceable.

buddhasummer
December 29th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Sally you are mistaken, as far as wrist top dive computers go the D9, D6 and Stinger all need to be returned to a dealer for battery repalcement thus far only the Mosquito has a user replaceable battery. Perhaps you are refering to the Gekko, Vyper etc

micklock
December 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Question 14 in the helpdesk says user can replace battery on all wristop computers except 9 series. But I dont have one I was just looking at the stinger so I'm not sure if you can replace it or not.

micklock
December 29th, 2007, 11:26 PM
After reading question 15 it says wristop computers are not meant for diving. thats why it's not listed

diverep1976
December 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
The Suunto D4 (http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/227/9/)requires that the Wristop "dive" computer go back to Aqua Lung or one of its authorized service centers (http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/164/255/) for replacement. The new D4 has a metal backplate and bezel to reduce flex in the case. Thus making it a mfg. serviceable only unit. As a result of its new electronic components, and now using the same battery as the D6, D9, Cobra, Vyper and Vytec series, the battery life, according to Suunto is 3-4 years. If purchased through an authorized Aqua Lung dealer (US Only) Aqua Lung will give the original owner 3 free battery replacement coupons when you register your warranty online and extend the 2 year warranty to a 5 year pro rated warranty. Check with your dealer for current details.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager

buddhasummer
December 31st, 2007, 04:46 AM
Not that I doubted you Dan...just an upate for those who may be interested I rec a mail from Suunto directly and they too advise that the D4 will need to be returned to an authorised dealer for battery replacement. If Aeris and Oceanic (same?) can make a high end watch computer(Epic/Atom 2) with user replaceable battery why cant Suunto, its a pain not to mention additional cost to have to return it, and if you are living on an island in thailand its a real PIA...was gonna buy the D4 but decided to buy an Epic or Atom 2 instead. Come on Suunto...

diverep1976
January 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Buddhasummer:

Suunto decided that the trade off for a 3-4 year battery life interval by using a metal backplate and bezel out weighed the problems that could come of a unit with a user replaceable wristop. Remember Suunto has far more experience in this arena than anyone else and has moved away from that direction. I'm not here to say that you'll have problems with the Epic or Atom 2; I'm certain you'll be perfecty happy with either choice. I'm just saying that Suunto has seen far too many cases that were compromised because of stress in the plastic case. Good Luck and have a Happy New Year!

DR

drbill
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
Dive computers which require a return to the factory and 2-4 weeks of turnaround are a royal PITA to those who live in remote places. It forces one to have, at minimum, two computers... or four as I have so I can dive with a minimum of two at a time.

buddhasummer
January 5th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Buddhasummer:

Suunto decided that the trade off for a 3-4 year battery life interval by using a metal backplate and bezel out weighed the problems that could come of a unit with a user replaceable wristop. Remember Suunto has far more experience in this arena than anyone else and has moved away from that direction. I'm not here to say that you'll have problems with the Epic or Atom 2; I'm certain you'll be perfecty happy with either choice. I'm just saying that Suunto has seen far too many cases that were compromised because of stress in the plastic case. Good Luck and have a Happy New Year!

DR
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but does that mean the Suunto Mosquito is prone to flooding having the plastic user replaceable battery?

Ice Mike
January 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Dive computers which require a return to the factory and 2-4 weeks of turnaround are a royal PITA to those who live in remote places. It forces one to have, at minimum, two computers... or four as I have so I can dive with a minimum of two at a time.

Uuuhhh wouldn't 3 computers be enough??

sent 1 off, dive the other 2 etc.

Still that is one more comp than I intent to own.

diverep1976
January 6th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense to me, but does that mean the Suunto Mosquito is prone to flooding having the plastic user replaceable battery?

Buddhasummer,

I never implied that the Mosquito was prone to flooding or any of the other computers you mentioned. But now that you bring that up, all manufacturers' computers can and have been compromised because of user replaceable batteries, I've witnessed plenty in all my dive trips. Some individuals do a better job than most at this task. I merely said that the D4's case is a new one and one that is reinforced with a metal backplate and bezel. And because it's done that way it will have to go back for battery replacement every 3-4 years, not such a bad deal when you think that it's being done by a professional. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck out there.

DR

Gombessa
January 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know when the D4 is going to be available, and at what price?

buddhasummer
January 6th, 2008, 11:05 PM
In japan they say around march and at current Ex rate around $800 USD, I assume it will be similar in the States...

diverep1976
January 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Does anyone know when the D4 is going to be available, and at what price?

Gombessa,

We were told at DEMA that the D4 will be available sometime this month. I would guess the latter part. The Price wil be $650.00.

DR

Gombessa
January 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Gombessa,

We were told at DEMA that the D4 will be available sometime this month. I would guess the latter part. The Price wil be $650.00.

DR

Not bad. So we're probably looking at around $600 street, eventually $550 at LP? I was hoping for a bit lower than the D6, but I can understand the price positioning.

MarkUK
January 7th, 2008, 07:06 AM
In the UK, the D4 is going to be £299, which is about £160-170 cheaper than the D6 with a rubber strap.

Got a prototype of the D4 that I have been playing with for a few months and it is a nice unit. Anyone familiar with the D6/D9 or the Vyper2/Cobra2 will have no problems navigating around the menus. The screen is much the same display as the D6/D9 and it fits in with the 'family look' much better than the Mosquito it replaces.

The freediving modes on the computer are neat, and it is sure to find favour with all the breath-hold divers out there. Especially due to the separate freediving log.

Mark

alphazo
January 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM
The user's manual for the D4 is not available (yet) on Suunto website. However, Google indicated its availability on the Aqualung one.... the full one (100 pages).

http://www.aqualung.com/technical_li...en_highres.pdf

Here are the differences found in the user's manual between the D6 and D4:
- Plastic body on D4
- No electronic compass (D6 only)
- Weight : 85g/3.0 oz (D6: 113g/3.98 oz)
- Oxygen %: 21-50% (21-99% on D6)
- Oxygen partial pressure display: 0.5-1.6 bar (0.2-3 bar on D6)
- Recording interval: new free dive mode (default 1 second, adjustable 1, 2, 5s)
- Higher memory capacity : 80 hours of diving (D6: 36 hours), with 20 second recording interval d'intervale) contre 36 heures
- Battery life is shorter on D4 : 0 dives/y –> 2 years, 100 dives/year –>1,5 years, 300 dives/year –>1 year (D6: 0 dives/y - 3 years, 100 dives/year – 2 years, 300 dives/year – 1.5 years)

Besides the above differences, other technical specifications are pretty much the same between D4 and D6.

Alphazo

Sharx Inside
March 31st, 2008, 12:05 AM
So has anyone started using D4 yet?

Does it display the Average Depth in the logbook mode? Cos as far as I'm concerned, the D6 doesn't display the average depth in the logbook mode, unless you download it to PC.

Thanks.

divecor
June 10th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I own a D4 and regret ever buying it, the function RGBM 50% doesn't add any bottom time as promised for users who dive more frequent like me as a dive instructor, recently I dived in the 50% setting and compared to two Suunto dive computers which I had on the same arm; a Gekko and a Mosquito, the D4 gave for a dive to 36 meters/36 minutes only 4 minutes more of decompression as the others.
Therby the "deepstop' setting was also activated.
I had correspondence with Suunto, asked the pro and cons and what would this deepstop and 50% would add to my dives e.d., do I get longer bottom times, they couldn't answer this question so I think that it is again another sales argument from Suunto.
What I bought is a very secure dive computer but when you ask what ist the safest car, it is the one which doesn't drive, do you understand what I mean, it isn't difficult to make the safest but to which price, is this the philosophy from Suunto?

divecor

Divecor

MarkUK
June 11th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I own a D4 and regret ever buying it, the function RGBM 50% doesn't add any bottom time as promised for users who dive more frequent like me as a dive instructor, recently I dived in the 50% setting and compared to two Suunto dive computers which I had on the same arm; a Gekko and a Mosquito, the D4 gave for a dive to 36 meters/36 minutes only 4 minutes more of decompression as the others.

That's strange. The D4 basically has the same innards as the D6 and D9 (with a few differences – freedive mode, etc) and I run my D9 on 50% RGBM, which puts it in line with my default-setting Uwatec Galileo Sol. If I run it on 100% RGBM, I end up with 20 mins of deco when the Sol still says I have a few minutes of no-deco left.

Mark

divecor
June 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Today I made another dive to 30 meters this time in the 100% mode and was again sevrely ponished with 7 minutes compared to a SUUNTO GEKKO dive computer which ended up also with 7minutes but; the GEKKO run down to zero including his safety stop in the 7 minutes whereby my D4 gave me an other (undertstand plus) 3 minutes for the safety stop??
I at the same time carried down on this dive my old Oceanic dive computer and I still had 8 minutes left, I dove for 30 Years with the US Navy tables and they never caused me the bends so to say...........
Basically it should be the same program as the D6 and D9, yes I understood it also like this.
I like your translation for the "apres dive', I told this already for years to my dive customers but their additude towards alcohol changed because of the strickt alcohol trafic laws I suppose.
The Ruhm here in Guadeloupe is exelent you know..........

diverep1976
November 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The Suunto D4 (http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/227/9/)requires that the Wristop "dive" computer go back to Aqua Lung or one of its authorized service centers (http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/164/255/) for replacement. The new D4 has a metal backplate and bezel to reduce flex in the case. Thus making it a mfg. serviceable only unit. As a result of its new electronic components, and now using the same battery as the D6, D9, Cobra, Vyper and Vytec series, the battery life, according to Suunto is 3-4 years. If purchased through an authorized Aqua Lung dealer (US Only) Aqua Lung will give the original owner 3 free battery replacement coupons when you register your warranty online and extend the 2 year warranty to a 5 year pro rated warranty. Check with your dealer for current details.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager

Since this post, Our policy has changed regarding free battery kits to consumers. Our authorized dealers are, and have been required since January 1st, 2009, to register all Suunto purchases online to assure the consumer that their investment is protected by an extended pro-rated warranty up to 5 years, and 2 free battery replacement kit coupons delivered through a confirmation email. Thank you.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung California Regional Manager

BlueMarlin01
November 21st, 2011, 09:25 AM
How to change the battery to Suunto D4 see this link :

Pesca Submarina - Caça Submarina - Projecto Caça Submarina - Change Battery on Suunto D4 by Pedro Silva / Substituir Pilha no Suunto D4 por Pedro Silva [Fórum - Bricolage] - (http://www.cacasubmarina.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=11&post_id=10371#forumpost10371)

Greats from Portugal

Pedro Silva

Pesca Submarina - Caça Submarina - Projecto Caça Submarina - O Teu Portal de Caça Submarina / Pesca Submarina - (http://www.cacasubmarina.com)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1