New Suunto D4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone know if the new Suunto D4 has a user replaceable battery? I have checked out Suuntos site but they make no mention of this. Thanks

If you go under FAQ & helpdesk on Suunto web site there is a question about battery compartment replacement it says there are kits available with battery, cover and o-ring.

ok but does it actually say there is one for the D4? on the page I read it does not list the D4 as one of those. Can you provide me with a link....thanks

My guess is that it does as all of Suunto watches / dive computers have user replaceable batteries. We own a bunch of both watches and dive computers which are all user replaceable.

Sally you are mistaken, as far as wrist top dive computers go the D9, D6 and Stinger all need to be returned to a dealer for battery repalcement thus far only the Mosquito has a user replaceable battery. Perhaps you are refering to the Gekko, Vyper etc

Question 14 in the helpdesk says user can replace battery on all wristop computers except 9 series. But I dont have one I was just looking at the stinger so I'm not sure if you can replace it or not.

After reading question 15 it says wristop computers are not meant for diving. thats why it's not listed

The Suunto D4 requires that the Wristop "dive" computer go back to Aqua Lung or one of its authorized service centers for replacement. The new D4 has a metal backplate and bezel to reduce flex in the case. Thus making it a mfg. serviceable only unit. As a result of its new electronic components, and now using the same battery as the D6, D9, Cobra, Vyper and Vytec series, the battery life, according to Suunto is 3-4 years. If purchased through an authorized Aqua Lung dealer (US Only) Aqua Lung will give the original owner 3 free battery replacement coupons when you register your warranty online and extend the 2 year warranty to a 5 year pro rated warranty. Check with your dealer for current details.

Dan Rodarte
Aqua Lung Regional Manager

Not that I doubted you Dan...just an upate for those who may be interested I rec a mail from Suunto directly and they too advise that the D4 will need to be returned to an authorised dealer for battery replacement. If Aeris and Oceanic (same?) can make a high end watch computer(Epic/Atom 2) with user replaceable battery why cant Suunto, its a pain not to mention additional cost to have to return it, and if you are living on an island in thailand its a real PIA...was gonna buy the D4 but decided to buy an Epic or Atom 2 instead. Come on Suunto...

Buddhasummer:

Suunto decided that the trade off for a 3-4 year battery life interval by using a metal backplate and bezel out weighed the problems that could come of a unit with a user replaceable wristop. Remember Suunto has far more experience in this arena than anyone else and has moved away from that direction. I'm not here to say that you'll have problems with the Epic or Atom 2; I'm certain you'll be perfecty happy with either choice. I'm just saying that Suunto has seen far too many cases that were compromised because of stress in the plastic case. Good Luck and have a Happy New Year!

DR

Back
Top Bottom