Dates for 2008 mini-season(FL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is correct, July 30th & 31st. Just the way the calendar falls. They also have been several lobster regulation meetings this last year and don't be surprised if new regulations come out before mini-season. There is a whole bunch of ideas on the table, but nothing as of today has been passed and enacted into the regulations. If you are making a keys run for mini-season this has the greatest chance of affecting you. Again, nothing yet is passed so no one knows what will be new, if anything at all. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the clarification. I do remember now that you mention it, that there have been several "meetings of the minds" regarding future regulations. Do you or does anyone have any idea on what the timetable may be for the implementation of new regs?? I may try posting a similar thread in the Conchs section to get a better response. It would be a shame to make plans now only to find out in June that they are making drastic changes to or eliminating "mini-season."

The final public hearing on the matter is to be held in April in Tallahassee.

There are proposed changes to the way mini-season will work in the future, one such proposal was a tag system, to prevent people from "double dipping" on their daily limits. There was nothing on the table to end mini-season. There was a proposal to increase the cost of out-of-state licenses though.

The December meeting of the FWC in Key Largo was interesting to say the least. More than 60 members of the public got up to speak on the Lobster issue. Other issues brought to light that were not previously addressed included using shorts for bait commercially, and what to do with "ghost traps"

There will be more meetings of the Ad Hoc Lobster Advisory Board, and the FWC will hold public hearings. The more participation from recreational divers; the more we'll have a voice in the future of the way Lobstering works in the state of Florida.

that is correct. 2008 would be too soon to impliment any changes. i'd be surprised if they even have the details hammered out by the time MS comes around, let alone ready to put them in place.

i for one.....HATE mini season.

ugh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom