Need help buying a camara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moonlight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to buy a camara for this spring/summer season. I dive in the dark waters of the midwest, but am going to try my first ocean dive this summer. I was needing advice about which setup would work best for me. As far as money I don't want to spend a fortune, yet I want something that will be nice and last several years. Also I am stupid when it comes to knowing anything about this subject. Just starting to read and learn as I go.

Have you looked at the sticky by Alcina at the top of this forum? It contains a wealth of information and gives several excellent pointers. That said, I don't know how realistic it is to get your first camera and expect it to satisfy you for many years. If you buy a fully featured camera like the Canon G9, it will carry you for a long while, but it is a lot of camera for a beginner to absorb. You might be better served by getting a simpler digital camera for your initiation into this obsession, (because that's what it will turn into- mark my words...)and then grow from there. What do the rest of you think? Woody

Hi Moonlight:

I can only give you advice from my own experience as a diver in California, and you can take what you will.

I started with a background in amateur photography... Took a couple of photography classes in college and owned a couple of different SLRs before I decided I wanted to shoot underwater in 1995. I first wanted to see if it was something I even wanted to do, so I went with the lowest cost of entry possible, the Ikelite Aquashot housing for the $10 disposable film cameras. I shot with this for a year (about 60 dives?) before the photography became an obsession (like Woody said!) and I needed something better. Moved up to a Sea and Sea MX-10 35mm point and shoot and its respective lenses and shot with this for a few years. Around 2000 I reached the limits of what it could do for me and there was a new digital revolution happening. I shelled out the big bucks for the newest best thing at the time, which was a 4MP digital Olympus 4000 with a Light and Motion housing and dual Ikelite DS-50 strobes. This ran a couple of thousand bucks. While my images have gotten pretty good as I've learned better underwater composition and technique and improved my skills overall, I've since just recently upgraded via eBay to a new used camera. The camera? A vintage 2003 5MP digital Olympus 5050 with Light and Motion housing. I think this will tide me over for now, and since I'm not going pro, I probably don't need an SLR at the moment. I could certainly put some of the features of an expensive SLR to good use, but I'm seeing some really great improvements in technology that are bound to hit the UW market this year so I'm sitting tight.

Lessons I've learned?
- No crime in starting off cheap to see if you like it and to hone some skills. You can always give away or sell your starter gear on eBay.
- It takes time to develop skills and get good images.
- In my progression I would reach plateaus as to how much I could do with the equipment I had, so I have no regrets over the path I chose. The equipment I started with was simple and as my skills grew, the equipment became progressively more complex but also more powerful.
- Patience is a virtue! Takes time and practice to develop your own skills and style, but the results can be really really rewarding!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for sharing your information. I now see that I need to start small and build up as I progress. I know with buying by dive equipment I am always buying something bigger and better. I guess buying a camara and working on my skills will be the same process. Once again thank you.

I am looking to buy a camara for this spring/summer season. I dive in the dark waters of the midwest, but am going to try my first ocean dive this summer. I was needing advice about which setup would work best for me. As far as money I don't want to spend a fortune, yet I want something that will be nice and last several years. Also I am stupid when it comes to knowing anything about this subject. Just starting to read and learn as I go.

moonlight,

#1 Recommendation - read Alicina's most excellent info on this subject that can be found at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...tting-started-dslr-maybe-look-here-first.html

Then try checking out these 2 recent threads on the subject of new cameras.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/214836-canon-a570-vs-a720-need-advice.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/214984-a570is-underwater-modes.html

Then spends lots of time searching Scubaboard for a wealth of additional info that is available on the board.

Good luck on your search,
Rickg

Ditto on going to an Alcina post, also do a search here on the Canon 570, 720, & G 9 cameras.........godd luck, some models are selling cheap right now...............GEAUX TIGERS............

I have some posts on my blog about getting started, also links from my sales site that should help, links below.

Jack

I've since just recently upgraded via eBay to a new used camera. The camera? A vintage 2003 5MP digital Olympus 5050 with Light and Motion housing.

Congratulations on getting that one. I looked at it long and hard and considered bidding, even though I'm fully equipped with a newer set-up. Our dive buddy, John, has that exact same set-up but with a second strobe and takes fantastic pictures with it. You won't be sorry. Even with 5mp, he's blown a lot of them up to 12x18 and they still look great. They're all over the walls of the dive shop.

Thanks Larry. My very first Olympus was the C-3030 Zoom which was a 3MP camera. I did one 3MP enlargement to 20x30 which actually came out pretty nice, as long as you're standing at least 5 feet away. :) For me personally, 5MP is just fine, the main trouble being with lower resolution is that you can't enter some of the photo contests. A little disappointing but for me it's enough to just adorn my walls and coffeetable. Also, the other trouble with buying discontinued equipment like this 2003 rig I bought is that parts are hard to find! e.g., Hard to find the wetmate lenses, strobe bulkheads, special sync cords, etc., for this system since it's been discontinued for 3 years. For me though, no biggie. What I have will serve me well until this next generation of digicams come out, and then in another year I'm sure some of that will turn up on the used market. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom