At what temp should you get a cold water reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is there a consensus (or do you have an opinion) at what water temperature (and below) a "cold water" regulator becomes a good idea?

Thanks.

I see 42F frequently mentioned. At temperature the adiabatic cooling can get you into trouble if you work a non cold water regulator hard at depth.

Pete

Personally, Id just get a cold water reg and be done with it if I considered diving cold water.. And being in Norway, well.. lets just say I have a cold water reg..

The industry standard I see now and then is 50 degrees, but that is a little conservative. In practice I normally see problems with non cold water regs develop when the temp falls into the 40-45 degree range.

The thing is with "cold water regs" is that it usually also means that they are environmentally sealed. Depending on where you dive that may be a plus if the water is always above 70. Helps to keep those little pieces of junk out as well as lessen chance of freeze up. All my regs are rated for cold water and all are environmentally sealed.

The thing is with "cold water regs" is that it usually also means that they are environmentally sealed. Depending on where you dive that may be a plus if the water is always above 70. Helps to keep those little pieces of junk out as well as lessen chance of freeze up. All my regs are rated for cold water and all are environmentally sealed.

Exactly….and if one is in the market for a new regulator Jim gives the reasons why this is the way to go. Cold and environmental protection…it's a good thing.

Thanks for the replies, all!

Happy new year.

CE Certification requires additional testing for <50F

I would say below 50F degrees to be safe. Unlikely to have any problems at all above 50F with most any modern regulator. To be ultra conservative you could say 60F. I'd say 3/4'ths of all divers (maybe more) never dive below 60F. Warm water divers generally dive 74F -86F waters... and any regulator will do fine there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom