Hawk's Nest Bay - Saint Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wojo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The following pics were taken while snorkeling/freediving in Hawk's Nest Bay in Saint Thomas. Taken with a Canon PowerShot A610 with a Canon WPDC90 housing. Other than one short outing in a local quarry (I live in Ohio), this is the first time this combination has been used. For a relative newbie at this I'm pretty happy with the results. I would welcome any comments, critique or advice. :)

2139344575_729f9cde9e_b.jpg

2139345285_0095005247_b.jpg

2139348201_90e582a773_b.jpg

2140140602_54d46f9414_b.jpg

2140142332_708865cafe_b.jpg

2139361681_3d258d2939_b.jpg

2140147716_9f16afe9ff_b.jpg

2140153784_3fc90faecd_b.jpg

Nice shots, I really like the third and last...thanks for sharing.

Very nice pictures - really good color! Thanks for sharing!

Great pics. The Virgin Islands were the first place in the Caribbean I ever went about 20 years ago. I especially like the first with the sting ray and remora, the one with all the juv. grunts with the fan worms in the background, and the last one with the bait fish that really shows what the underwater scenery looked like. It appears you were fortunate to have very clear water for your pics.

I am an avid snorkeler-photographer (don't scuba dive), so I am always interested in seeing good snorkeling shots. I've always wondered how much harder it is to take pictures snorkeling vs. diving. I queried about this once on this board and didn't get much in the way of response. I don't think most divers are very interested in snorkeling.

About 6 months ago I bought a Canon A630, which I presume is similar to what you are using, but with more mpx. I've only used it on a couple of trips to Destin in the Florida Panhandle, where the water is somewhat greenish-murky, so I haven't given it the full test in very clear tropical waters. My pictures are here:
Destin Florida Underwater 2007 Photo Gallery by Dave_Clausen at pbase.com
With just a few exceptions, most of the photos were taken with available light. For these pictures, I set the mode (dial at the top) to Av, and then set the ISO to 100 to make sure I didn't get noise in the photos. I let the camera do everything else auto. The camera usually set shutter speed to 1/500 and F-stop to 2.8-3.5. I was reasonably happy with how the photos turned out, but most seemed a little dark. I don't set white balance underwater, and adjust all the photos later in Jasc (now called Paint Shop) or Photo Elements to get good color. This usually seems to work o.k. I tried a few pictures in Canon's automatic underwater setting, and they didn't turn out well at all.

My previous camera was an old Canon S30 (3.2 mpx; all the uw shots other than the Destin 2007 album at my PBase photo site were shot with this). I just set it to auto for everything; unlike the newer Canons, the auto setting for this camera does not let the ISO go above 150. The uw pics did turn out surprisingly good, and were not dark like many of the Canon A630 seem to be. Therefore, the big advantage of the A630 compared to my old camera appears to be merely the increased number of mpx in the A630, which allows for much more cropping.

Since I really liked the color in your pics, could you tell me what settings you were using on your camera? Did you white balance underwater, or adjust the color later in a photo editing program? You weren't using the automatic underwater setting, were you? Your pics appear to have very little noise, so you must have been using a low ISO setting. Thanks for any response you can give.
Dave

Actually, I was using the automatic underwater setting. I adjusted only the exposure, using Photo Impact 12. The water was very clear, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The one other time I've used this camera underwater was at a local quarry, where the water wasn't nearly as clear. Those pics are here. They came out fairly well, considering the conditions, and the fact that it was the first time using this camera/housing combination. In fact, other than using some disposables, these are the first underwater pictures I have taken. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I guess. I am extremely happy with the A610's performance, and the housing worked flawlessly as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom