TransPac w/SS Plate & single tank adapter issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuby-doo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Aloha-

I have a TransPac setup that I added a stainless steel backplate and single tank adapter to. No bolts/washers/wing nuts came with it, so I had to go to the hardware store and buy some. To allow for the thickness of the plate, adapter, Venture Wing and TP (sans back pad) I'm using 1-3/4" SS bolts, with washers and wing nuts.

Problem: when donning or removing the rig, the bolts often snag on my wetsuit and I now have a few holes from this!!! Does Dive Rite carry the correct sized bolts or do they recommend a certain length? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Mahalo for your advice...

Patrick

Hacksaw&mill file.
Allen

I was trying to avoid that :wink:

After I got everything put together, gauged how far the bolt extended. It's slightly below the level of the plate, which is why I thought it would be OK. But apparently not...

Some sort of plastic or rubber cap would be good too if I could find one that fit. Again, trying to avoid sawing and filing...

They have those at hardware stores too(plastic caps). perhaps you could cut out some open cell foam to cover the whole channel in your back plate? wouldn't compact at depth and would have minimal effect on buoyancy.
Allen

Patrick,

The TransPac is not designed to use a hard back plate. Are you using a TransPlate Harness? If so, I would just ditch the single tank adapter, and thread my cambands through the slots in the backplate. In my experience, the STA was more problems than it was worth.

They have those at hardware stores too(plastic caps). perhaps you could cut out some open cell foam to cover the whole channel in your back plate? wouldn't compact at depth and would have minimal effect on buoyancy.
Allen

Both are good ideas. I'll see if I can find some caps first. If that doesn't work, will try the foam ...

Thanks Allen!

Patrick

Patrick,

The TransPac is not designed to use a hard back plate. Are you using a TransPlate Harness? If so, I would just ditch the single tank adapter, and thread my cambands through the slots in the backplate. In my experience, the STA was more problems than it was worth.

No, I purchased the TransPac first and then decided I wanted to reduce the amount of lead I was wearing. So I purchased the SS backplate and STA and converted the whole thing. It works great- just need to figure out the correct bolt length. I like the TransPac's versatility and the fact that I can easily switch back and forth from using the backplate and not.

No, I purchased the TransPac first and then decided I wanted to reduce the amount of lead I was wearing. So I purchased the SS backplate and STA and converted the whole thing. It works great- just need to figure out the correct bolt length. I like the TransPac's versatility and the fact that I can easily switch back and forth from using the backplate and not.

Hi Patrick,

Sounds like you have created a customized rig that works well for your needs. Since we do not sell that combination of equipment, I cannot help you with the bolt length. My suggestion is that you purchase all-thread and cut to your specification.

Another thought might be to readjust the plate so it resides between the tank and the TPAC and lose the STA. The TransPac has a soft backplate that will conform to the molded steel plate and you can thread the cam bands through the plate and the back of the TPAC backplate.

Let me know if either works.

Best,
Kathleen

The Dive Rite Single Tank Adapter uses 1-inch bolts to attach it to the backplate.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom