Finally - a Dome cover that will stay put

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I hate scootering or surf entries with my W/A dome without the cover on. Its just too exposed as I'm zooming in the kelp, going in and out of the surf, rock hopping with the rig, etc.

And the problem is there is no cover for the Light & Motion 9" dome. The cover they ship with it is simply a shipping cover, not a diving cover. I tried the Sea & Sea cover, and its not up to the task, either.

I was in Backscatter the other day and picked up one of their in-house dome covers for my 9" W/A dome. I've used this dome cover a few times. The problem is once you're in the water, the thing is so friggen buoyant it wants to just fly off. And forget about scootering with it. So since I purchased this cover I've been pretty bummed about spending the cash on this thing.

Then today it hit me. :lightbulb

I built some retaining bungees for the cover. These bungees allow the cover to grab the back of the dome and hold it in place. I punched grommets into the cover, and affixed parrel beads (think sail hardware) to the bungee to keep it from pulling through the neoprene cover.

When the cam is in use, I just pull off the cover and either roll it up and put it in my pocket or use the double ender to clip it off to something out of the way (stern D-ring, my buddy, etc.) like I've been doing.

FINALLY - a dome cover that will stay on when scootering and going in and out of surf. I'm pretty stoked.

---
Ken

Bottom

Back of modified cover

It looks sweet. My Aquatica cover is similarly useless. The first time I tried it in the water, it slipped off and started drifting down current. I was planning to add a drawstring, but your solution looks very nice.

nice idea wish i would have done that to mine i went with a draw sting but that look like it would be easer to do and take on and off will have to try that with my macro port

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom