West Palm Pics -- 12/30/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday we had four Kiss CCR divers on Jim Abernethy’s Deep Obsession (Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures: Diving Palm Beach and the Bahamas) for a two tank afternoon trip to the reefs of West Palm Beach. Though the winds had picked up in the morning leading to 3-4 foot seas these dropped through the afternoon. And we were blessed with 80 degree air temps, 77 degree water temps, a slight north current and top-to-bottom visibility.

The first dive was the Trench where we found a sleeping loggerhead turtle. As we drifted north from the Trench we encountered several green turtles, eels, an octopus, and a few reef squid. After about 45 minutes all of the other divers, including the divemaster, headed up leaving us alone with the marine life. Suddenly an 8 foot bull shark arrived and stayed with us for several minutes. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t get close enough for a good photo.

The second dive was Breakers reef (4th window) and then a swim over to Turtle Mound. We were again blessed with several turtles, eels, tons of tropicals, and even a lemon shark out in the sand.

Definitely a great way to wrap up my diving for 2007! A big thank you goes out to Jim and his crew!

Here are some photos from the trip:
westpalmdec2007crw_7164a.jpg

westpalmdec2007crw_7175a.jpg

westpalmdec2007crw_7163a.jpg

westpalmdec2007crw_7157a.jpg

westpalmdec2007crw_7144a.jpg

westpalmdec2007crw_7141a.jpg

Other photos are at: debersole.com

Great pics, Doug. Thanks for sharing. I don't think I would find it unfortunate that an 8' Bull Shark wouldn't get close enough for a picture, at least from what I've heard about Bulls.

Nice pics! Was the turtle you saw on the trenches the big ol guy? (10~feet?) The times I have been there he is the one we find sleeping there under a ledge

Here's the turtle that was in the Trench. Obviously,I didn't want to wake him to get a good look. He was a pretty good sized loggerhead.

westpalmdec2007crw_7132a.jpg

"Unfortunately, he wouldn’t get close enough for a good photo."

You might try taking a plastic, over the counter water bottle with you. Keep it half full of water by letting some in at depth. Settle somewhere and start to crinkle it with your hand. I'm not sure if it works in Florida but in Hawaii its like ringing a dinner bell.

Nice photos and after diving Floridas east coast last year for the first time I can vouch that its highly under rated.

I would have been leaving the water with a Bull hanging around. That's just me though. Well, probably not just me.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom