the Hawaii V South Pacific Kava challenge!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
g'day all

i think it was Catherine or one of the other Hawaii regulars that stated Hawaii kava was strong and i counter claimed that Vanuatu kava was even stronger.....

anyways, the glove was thrown and i have just returned from Vanuatu with my contribution to a muddy water drink-off for a winner to be declared

so........ we need a time, a place, a judge and an address for me to send the vile little chopped up root too!

Ohhhhh Catherine....... where for art thou Catherine :D

Kava.jpg

There used to be a little kava bar right outside of Honolulu a few years ago... I could never understand why people would go there and drink muddy water that made your lips numb...

I went there alot

heheheheheh - ive upset many a tribal chief by declining the muddy brew......... but i couldnt let such a claim go unchallenged :D

Oh noooooo,

I think the Tongan root is the most potent.

But I've never had Ven....whatever, I can't even say it.

I do love the stuff, shoot me.

Hope you'll share Almity,---you don't need to be drinkin that stuff. You are too cheeky already, we can't have you running around any more cheery and laid back.

So, sip some kava kava and then do some mental performance test, supposedly you get smarter. (but I'm maxed out, don't want to hurt my liver)
by declining the muddy brew.........
hey, you could still pass a polygraph if you indulged, ya know.

There used to be a little kava bar right outside of Honolulu
Hale Noa and Jon Cruz and Eddie Cruz would hang there and do the mellow jam. No boozers, no smokers....no food, no cell phones, no lights, lol. But, one must worship the Taro.

Pond sludge is an aquired taste.

Hope this isn't too much of an aside, but this thread intrigued me. My wife and I want to come visit the Big Island this December, and I would love to try some kava.

A website I found mentions this: "Once you have been drinking kava for at least a month on a regular basis and have started to feel the effects more fully you can drink more than 2 or 3 shellsand you will find out quickly about the kava effects we call euphoria."

Does this mean that first-time experiences by vacationers will be sub-standard? Should I try to build up that certain tolerance/adjustment in advance? Forgive me if this is a naive or culturally insensitive question, and please set me straight in a PM.

When I travel, I enjoy learning and experiencing more about local cultures than the touristy stuff. :)

Unless one has a thing for drinking watered down mud (more like muddied up water), I suspect most first-time experiences would be sub-standard. I've only had it once and didn't notice anything, although the 4-5 beers prior to trying it might have had something to that. It's not a sipping drink, you pound it down or you may never finish it. I do know of people who really like it.

There's a kava bar in Kailua at the Coconut Grove Marketplace that's reasonably popular.

.......When I travel, I enjoy learning and experiencing more about local cultures than the touristy stuff. :)

well i hope you dont ever visit Yap because the nut is horrid stuff!!!! :D

kava has been mailed... now its up to customs/quarantine to allow it thru for Catherine to give us the verdict

Catherine.... WHAT is JB holding in that avatar???

:multi: did they survive the heat???

and do we have a kava winner yet?

Back
Top Bottom