Diving with hangovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Here's a timely, New Year's Day, topic -- Diving with hangovers

As many of us dive on vacations we inevitably stumble into a dive shop or onto a boat with a ripping hangover.

Any surefire hangover remedies?

I remember in the Philippines a dive instructor would take a mix 40% Nitrox for a shallow, warm water dive in the morning and claim that was the best cure.

I once did a freezing 45 degree cold water dive -- in a 7 mm wet suit -- with a horrible hangover. The cold water worked and at splash down it was gone.

But for me, it has just been the Gatorade or banana shake to clear the head and make the early morning dive.

What are your cures? Any are there any serious health worries from diving with a hangover? We're taught that dehydration can increase risk of decompression illness. Anyone here of a case of the bends where a hangover was a real factor?

There is no cure. One simply do not dive with a hangover. You're never just risking your own life and health, but also your buddy's. This is so plain and accepted that I doubt there is anything to debate. One might be out of the influenc of alcohol itself, but you are in a reduced state and therefore you shouldn't try to do much to improve simply the justify to yourself that you're diving. On our trips I always give the preach on this in advance, so there'll be no misunderstanding. We've never actually had to stop anyone. A simple kind word in the morning, to the one who's night became a bit to late, has always been enough. Have no doubt though. Anyone who comes to the morning dive after to much alcohol the night before will not be entering the water with us even if they wanted to.

I'm no angel with the beer and the brandy myself, not at all! :D But diving and drinking don't mix.

Here's a timely, New Year's Day, topic -- Diving with hangovers

As many of us dive on vacations we inevitably stumble into a dive shop or onto a boat with a ripping hangover.

Any surefire hangover remedies?

Cup of coffee, 4 ibuprofen, a bunch of water and big steaming cup of "suck it up!!!" Then do a back roll into the water and the cool water should have things fixed in a jiffy!!

Diving with a hangover is not very advisable for a number of reasons. I did it once years ago in Thailand, when seaduced by a lovely Dutch dive buddy into drinking a number of Thai "buckets." Will never do it again. In fact, I rarely drink on nights before I plan to dive, and when I do it is only a glass of wine or so. Needless to say I did not dive today despite feeling fine after a glass of sake, two glasses of wine and two of champagne last night.

Hangovers lead to dehydration and additional tiredness. Both increase the risk of DCS.

Furthermore, hangovers generally cause slower reaction times and clouded judgement, which is a danger both to you and your buddy.

I thought that diving on a hangover is a clear "no-no" and that this is taught in basic OW. Why bring this topic up, I thought the answer was fairly clear for any diver?

I try not to drink at all when I plan to dive on vacation if I do it's one maybe two drinks. Anyway you want a cure and here you go...

Gatorade or any electrolyte drink. Alcohol consumption makes you pee. The more you pee the more sodium you lose. The more sodium you pee the more your electrolytes get out of wack. The peeing causes you to be dehydrated. The dehydration makes your brain swell causing the headache. Drink a 32 ounce Gatorade with a single dose of a multivitamin at the end of your night. Repeat in the morning. Should help out a lot. Ibuprofen is better than tylenol or asprin since it's an anti-inflammatory at not just an analgesic. After each alcoholic beverage, drink a glass of water, that'll help too.

I actually think diving with a hangover is pretty damn irresponsible for anyone, on any dive.

Having a drink or two the night before a dive is ok... but if you have that many drinks that you wake up and think "Daaaamn, I've got a hangover" you shouldn't be diving at all.

I don't drink 24 hours before I dive. The most I ever had is two glasses of wine the evening before an afternoon dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom