Sea & Sea DX-1G in Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai (Malaysia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
A few shots taken between Christmas and New Years at Sipadan, Mabul and Kapalai in Borneo, Malaysia. This is my 3rd attempt at shooting underwater and I am happier with the results. Must still work hard on getting composition and strobe settings right. It is hard to resist the urge to just fire away to capture the moment....only to have crappy shots come out. I am most proud of my Pygmy shots. They were taken under very stong current and bad vis. No cropping or PP was done to the shot taken. (Some cropping was done to the other picture for the close up of the seahorse).

Enjoy. Critics welcome....I can always learn more...

M0011884-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011882-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011895-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011905-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011906-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011915-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011931-Edit_800x600_.jpg

M0011754-Edit%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg

Outstanding shots!!!!! I also own the DX-1G and am very happy with my shots as well. However, your pictures are superior to mine. I am also glad that individuals can see what the Sea&Sea cameras can do as opposed to the Cannons or Olympuses. Bottom line, the quality of a picture, in my opinion, is determined by the individual taking the picture. The Sea&Sea cameras, as well as the Cannons or Olympuses out there have the capability of taking great pics.

Well Done

Bill

Ekasi, I have a question for you, for your macro shots did you use manual focus or auto focus? Also, what mode did you use to shoot your pics, aperature, manual, etc? And, last what stobe did you use.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks very much for the kind words of encouragement! It means a lot to me as a novice...of course, for every decent shot, 3-4 bad ones were taken! I am especially pissed about a 10 second moment when I got steamrolled by a school of huge humpheads that swam straight at me and passed me on both sides...It would have made for fantastic photos....but it was dawn and I was fumbling with my flash/ISO/manual settings! I got a couple of bad pics here to show for it....tried to put a semi artistic twist to a crappy pic by fiddling with Lightroom RAW converter! lol...

n582259232_247392_5421.jpg

n582259232_247383_2956.jpg

Hammerhead man, Thanks for your kind words too. To answer your question, I tried using manual focus but ended up using auto for many shots. In fact, I had practiced doing so on land for Macro shots to get DOF right like this cigarette photo...

n582259232_218923_2433.jpg

It would have worked well if not for the dim lighting I believe. Underwater, it seemed hard to tell if the subject was in focus. I would definitely use it if conditions are good. ie, No current, plenty of time, good light, the ability to rest comfortable and get support ...like lying on the sand to sneak up on the eel or goby. The only way to use manual focus is to set it at the magnification you want and move closer or further away. It is definitely harder to use! Good mainly for non spookable subjects like Nudibranches.

I used Manual settings for all the shots and shot in RAW. WB was set to Auto and ISO was 100 in almost all cases. Backscatter was a huge problem for me due to bad vis and much adjustments and luck was needed to get the shots. I have so many unusable pics which would have been awesome due to backscatter or poor strobe lighting/settings..... I still got lots to learn. Was lucky enough to get some tips from Ed D Man whom I met at the airport....."set your manual settings for the shot you want, and fiddle with the manual strobe settings and placements" ....I will keep it in mind for my next trip! I use a single YS-110 strobe from Sea & Sea. I do love this camera, especially it's compact size. The G9 is a more advanced camera and allows for even more customization and options....but underwater, it's all about composition and lighting I believe. (Novice perspective of course!). I much rather have a smaller camera that I can stuff down my pocket. I won't be trading in my DX-1G for a DSLR system....instead, as I get better, it will serve as a decent backup for a D300 when I decide I can shoot well (or often) enough to get one.

Here are a few more pics... :wink:

n582259232_247370_9437.jpg

n582259232_247373_231.jpg

n582259232_247337_997.jpg

n582259232_247349_3953.jpg

n582259232_247346_3192.jpg

n582259232_247345_2942.jpg

n582259232_247385_3493.jpg

Just awesome!!!!! Great work.

Regards,

Bill

agree- nice pice
also agree smaller is better
i used an Oly c7070 in an Oly case with two strobes and when it flooded borrowed a small Sea and Sea 5000G in a small case with a single hand held strobe: loved the new pictures: much easier to manipulate camera and get lighting just as I want: Im also NOT going to use the occasion of the flood to upgrade to DSLR and instead am considering another small camera and housing to allow me to get into those nooks and crannies. I do recognize however that the resolution and picture quality with some DSLRs in the right hands is fabulous and in the past when I tried a housed nikon for wide angle shots on a shark feeding dive, definitely got better quality photos with that vs my Oly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom