I dunno which camera to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

king_tut1975

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am so confused about buying an underwater camera, and i am so hesitated about difrferent types.. can anyone help me in my diceision...

there is the canons : A570 IS, A710 IS, A720 IS
Or sony : W35, W90, S800
or Olympus: stylus 500, FE-230, or FE-300

please help needed indeeeeeeeed.

Moustafa

I am so confused about buying an underwater camera, and i am so hesitated about difrferent types.. can anyone help me in my diceision...

there is the canons : A570 IS, A710 IS, A720 IS
Or sony : W35, W90, S800
or Olympus: stylus 500, FE-230, or FE-300

please help needed indeeeeeeeed.

Moustafa

Moustafa this is a frequent question here and always a difficult one to answer because it involves many factors, such as price limits, product availability in your location, your level of experience, your expectations, etc.

I will assume you are fairly new at underwater photography and will be satisfied with a late model product at a reasonable price. In my opinion the 12 megapixel Canon A650IS with the Canon WP- DC18 housing is a good choice. It has 6X stabilized zoom, a 2.5 inch monitor and Canons most recent technology. In the USA the camera and housing can be had for around $500. You can easily add a slave strobe to it in the future.

If you want to spend another $100. or so then the Canon G9 is a step up from the A650IS. The G9 has a 3 inch monitor, RAW capability and a hot shoe for a true hard wired TTL strobe but that will require a much more expensive Ikelite housing ($600. versus under $200. for the Canon housing). You can still use a slave strobe that is not hard wired in the Canon housing.

The A650IS and the G9 share the same CCD and lens features.

I strongly believe you should buy recent technology versus used or older products.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom