Is UWATC AI only ones to consider actual gas consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wise1

Reaction score
From reading the UWATEC and other computer websites, it appears to me that only UWATEC AI computers claim to consider your actual gas consumption and the depths at which it is comnsumed, regarding N2 and O2 loading. The others, it seems, use an algorithm that makes assumptions about how much you have breathed at depth.

I'm a newbie, but this is what I get from reading the available literature. What's the truth? And, is it important?

Thanks for your help.

wise1 once bubbled...
From reading the UWATEC and other computer websites, ... What's the truth? And, is it important?

The truth is; don't believe everything you read on the internet! And the truth, BTW, is very important!

The Pirate :pirate:

:bonk: I find the last two posts as too cryptic to understand.

Somebody tell me straight. Is there another diver computer (besides UWATEC) that considers your actual gas consumption at depth.

Is that an important considration.

(I am too new to this to know what BTW is)

wise1 once bubbled...
:bonk: I find the last two posts as too cryptic to understand.

Somebody tell me straight. Is there another diver computer (besides UWATEC) that considers your actual gas consumption at depth.

(I am too new to this to know what BTW is)

It doesn't matter what your RMV or SAC is at depth for purposes of deco status. It is not important. Regardless of what UWATEC says on their website, the computer does not calculate deco with a consideration of your gas consumption. BTW, BTW means "by the way."

wise1 once bubbled...
[BI find the last two posts as too cryptic to understand.

[/B]

The Uwatec uses that data to calculate remaining bottom time for gas consumption. It takes into consideration depth, temp and breathing rate, and has nothing to do with gas loading.
The Suunto AI computers will do the same I believe.

As The Pirate said, this has no bearing on deco or tissue loading.

Is it an important consideration? IMO, no.

MD

As other's have said, the volume of gas you breathe makes no difference on you gas loading - at least according to the Buhlmann models.

The Uwatec uses that data to calculate remaining bottom time for gas consumption. It takes into consideration depth, temp and breathing rate, and has nothing to do with gas loading

Not entirely true. It will consider gas loading in the sense that the AI computers will estimate how much gas is needed to complete any deco obligation and subtract this from the remaining bottom time. So the computers do take into account your loadings for gas consumption purposes.

In other words they will do their best to get you to the surface with a preset reserve (40bar by default).

This is IME was very accurate (to within a bar or 2), but still an expensive gimmik (as is all OC air integration).

Back
Top Bottom