Help - Which camera - Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel XTi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juli-Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am an absolute beginner and comparing three cameras to purchase I would love some expert advise...I'm trying to make a choice between the Canon Digital 400D Rebel XTi and the Nikon Digital D-80 and the Olympus E-410

I will also be using this camera for nature/wildlife photography....so lens options is a big factor to consider...if I invest in a few lenses then decide to upgrade the camera body...I want to be able to use the existing lenses so I don't have to keep buying a new system...in other words I need a brand that is flexible for different needs...

I favored the Olympus because I've use them in the past (film version OM2) but mostly it has a live LCD shooting view......but the image sensor in a comparison chart is smaller than the other two....

One thing to consider that I'm trying to make a decision about but can't because I don't know enough is the difference between eTTL(the Cannon has this) and the Nikon has iTTL....

Another difference is the sensor one is CMOS and the other CCD....

Please help....

Nikon an Canon both have a good selection of lenses, not so sure about olympus, but I have heard they too have a good range, if not so extensive as the other 2.

I'd suggest going into a shop and physically picking up all three, and seeing which you prefer using.

I basically made up my mind by saying:
"My shortlist is a 400D and a D80 - the first one that comes along 2nd hand at a great price with a housing is the winner". A 400D with Ike housing magically appeared right on cue, and I'm now sorting out lenses for a whale shark dive trip in Feb :D

Z...

It's a good investment so I would go to a Camera shop, not Best Buy or Circuit City to look into both cameras. I picked a Nikon D50 over the Canon. Felt it was a better value as I do not see the need for 8 or 10 megapixels. Now, who knows what I would pick. Both are great brands with lots of lenses avaibale from their own and aftermarket companies.

If it were me, I would stick with Canon or Nikon. Not that Oly's are bad, they just are not main stream enough. Chose the brand of lenses you want then the camera can follow. The lenses will be around much longer than the camera body.

I went with Nikon and have a decent and ever expanding selection of lenses. My camera body has been upgraded once already.

One other piece of advice I can offer is forget the kit lens. As mentioned above many people are upgrading their D200's and 20d's etc. and that would allow you to get a camera with possible underwater housing for a decent price. Check out wetpixel, digital diver, and here, in the photography market place for a nice used setup. If you find what you are looking for and at the right price JUMP ON IT! They tend to sell fast.

For a new XTI at a great price read this thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/215328-dell-sale-time-xti.html

Did you see this thread? Seems like a good deal.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...g-also-fits-400d-ttl-converter-400d-body.html

I use a Canon DSLR at work, and am pleased with it. However, I went with a D80 over a Rebel XTi for my personal camera. After a lot of research, it really seemed like you were splitting hairs to find much difference between the two. I went with the D80 primarily because it uses SD cards, as does my P&S (a Canon) that I use for UW. I might take the D80 underwater one day, but I'll have to max out my ability with the A620 before I cough up the money for a DSLR case!

An article/review I read recently made the argument that a camera body is an accessory to the lens, not the other way around. I can see the point.

I think you would be happy with either camera. FWIW, it seems to be a little easier (in general) to find discounts on Canon lenses. I don't know if that holds true for lenses you want for UW use.

If you have an investment of lenses, then go with what fits your lenses. If you don't, then go with what has the cheapest high quality lens sets for the kind of photography you want to do. Both are good cameras that will get the job done.

Personally, I have a Canon, but the Nikon line is solid as well. There's no reason to make the choice on any basis other than what the total cost will be for you once you buy all the stuff you're going to want to buy over the years.

I've got the Nikon D80 as my surface interval camera. As a beginner myself, I can tell you it's very user friendly and takes great pictures. If you click the link in my signature and then the Hong Kong Wetlands Park icon on the right you can see some pictures I took with it. That was my first time using the camera, and the fact that the shots came out as well as they did is more a testament to the camera than to any skill of mine... :D

Just another point on the never ending quest. It looks like Canon will be releasing their update to the Xti in about 3 weeks -- the 450D -- which is probably why the Xti has come down in price so much at the moment.

It the camera is as rumored, I will NOT be buying the Xti (see the thread mentioned above about Dell and Xti) but waiting for the 450D. There seems to be enough new stuff to justify waiting another few weeks to see if the rumors are true. And if they are, maybe I'll be able to order through Dell and still get the discount -- and if they aren't, I'll still be able to order the Xti at this great price -- but probably NOT with the kit lens but, instead, get the updated version of the lens since it has image stabilization.

You can't really go wrong with either one.

I went with the Canon line and adore all my bits. I have two mates with the 400D and it's a great unit.

Nikon service here suckaroos so that was a factor I used in deciding way back when.

I also took into account that the Canons are better at high ISOs - this still holds true for the models you are talking about. Nikon's new releases at their higher end are getting much closer - some reviews have them even better than Canon, some as good as some of the Canon range and some reviews have them not quite there yet. Frankly, I wouldn't worry my head over that part UNLESS you intend to do a lot of low light stuff - wrecks with no strobes, concerts/bands, weddings, parties etc. Most people won't ever notice the difference.

My best advice is to go to a store, pick 'em up and see how they feel. Both will give you great results and long-term growing potential. Both have a good range of lenses and housings available.

You can wait for the new round - but there will always be a new round :wink: For me, for the money, I'd take the current Canon 400D...unless there are some great deals on the new model when it comes out. I did grab a 40D as I got what I thought was a good price on a new model (they always come down again after you buy, so you just have to not think about that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom