Suunto Stinger and Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chloro

Reaction score
I had a Stinger and that is the 3rd time I return it to Fitz-Wright in BC, the national supplier of Suunto and Bare. The damn thing, when is on nitrox mode, doesn't switch back to air mode immediately : it takes a few weeks. That makes no sense.

Anyway, now that they have it, they agreed to switch it to a Vytec wire(hose)less. I know they fixed the glitch they had when the product 1st came out before last summer and that the new generation is OK. However, I wonder if it is worth paying the extra $$$ for a hoseless computer...

In addition to that, I owned a Suunto Vector, a trekking computer and had problems. Now, I have a Stinger, problems again. Now, is this Suunto product going to be reliable for a few years ?

Let me see what you guys think.

I have a Vyper that is I use for Nitrox and air.. Works like a charm.. Rock solid.. My only complaint is the rather expensive PC cable (C$ 220). Then again, you don't need one to use the computer.. I'm just a gadget freak I guess.
I am actually thinking of getting a second one for backup..
My friend has a Cobra and loves it.. I heard some people had problems with the transducers in early Vitec's...You had to hold your arm just right to get a signal..But I heard that's been fixed..

I have a vyper and so do a couple of other board members... don't you love bulk discounts!

No problems, Still switching out of gauge mode or Nitrox mode back to Air mode requires 24 hrs of no diving.

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
...Still switching out of gauge mode or Nitrox mode back to Air mode requires 24 hrs of no diving.

Do I understand this right: if you want to dive air as your first dive of the day and then dive Nitrox on your second or third dive of the day, you can't use the computer?

I had heard that you could just use the Nitrox mode and set it to 21% for first dive and deal with subsequent dives accordingly. Could you not do the reverse if choosing to start with Nitrox and diving air in subsequent dives and solve your problem?

My Vyper will switch at will. However if you dive Nitrox and then leave it it will "reset" to Air after a period of time. (Safety measure ?) Dont see how its safe tho ?

Anyway mine switches fine in real time.

You could also just set it in Nitrox mode at 21% then no problems.

Just a thought.

Hoppy

If this is a safety measure....
1. How is it safer to have a delay before making a dive on air after a nitrox dive?
2. Wouldn't the other computers follow suit and have the same set-up?

I'm no expert on nitrox so please keep the answer simple.

I do know that the hoseless computers are a mixed blessing regardless of the brand. Quite a few have shown inconsistent readings because of delays or glitches in getting info from the sender to the gauge. There's never been a 100% successful application of wireless technology underwater (Heck, how many of you have a cell phone?).
The Cobra has been very good but I don't know if it's nitrox capabilities are adequate for you.
The Cobra was the most popular integrated computer until last month when the Wisdom was finally introduced. It has the same shape and size but considerably more features and is easier to use. Also it's cheaper and is US made so quick to get serviced but again I don't know if it has the nitrox capability that you need.
I'm sure Suunto won't give you a Wisdom for your Vytec. Suunto (via Fitzwright) is a good company but not overly generous. Usually if it's out of warranty you're toast.
Get the Vytec and sell it as new to a diver and buy what is best for you. The Vytec isn't cheap so you should get good bucks for it!

You're not alone Sparky.
Lots of divers have purchased computers and often the final decision was made because of the ability to download to a PC.
However, with many hundreds of computer sales, we've sold only one Suunto link. We're happy to rent them but even that hasn't proven popular. I don't understand why they are so expensive. The hardware is a simple usb cable. The cost is close to the same with any company $250-300.
I guess it's one of those 'gotta have that toy' features that aren't really practical.
It would be nice to look at summarys of all your recent dives but otherwise, why would you want to down load your dives to your PC?

I like to download mine onto my Palm computer after the dive. All the salient data is displayed on one page so I can copy it into my logbook (I still like a paper logbook). The graph is nice; partly for fun, partly for when you are chatting about the dive and partly for reviewing the details (ascent rates, safety stops, etc)

It is a bit gimicky but it is quite a nice feature. I made my own lead with about $5 worth of parts so there is nothing to lose.

I dont get it either about the switching to air. It was a question really ?

The next bit makes the STUPID assumption that I don't know what gas I'm breathing, but hey there are plenty of candidates for Darwins every year.

If I dive a 38% mix and then the thing switches to air, I make a second dive on "air" according to the comp (38% in reality). I risk a serious chance of of taking an O2 hit !

How can this be a safety feature ? If its not a safety thing then why doesn't it remember what I dived on last ?

Anyone care to explain the logic ?

Thanks in advance
Hoppy

I know my tanks are marked to the hilt for Nitrox and I'm a dummy if I dont know what I'm breathing etc etc. Just in case anyone points it out . :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom