Mares Proton Metal 42 She Dives reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm buying my first reg and saw that Mares now has a model designed specifically for women - the Mares Proton Metal 42 She Dives. Is anyone familiar with it? What would the difference be between the men's Proton Metal 42 and the She Dives model?

I'm small [5'-2"], so equipment that is lighter and more streamlined is a big plus.

Thanks, Johanna

Hi Johana,

There is no difference between the she dives 42 and the proton 42 other than the cosmetics. It does sound as if the either would be a good fit for you. The Proton is a very compact 2nd stage, and the 42 is the smallest 1st stage in the industry. Plus I see your in Canada so the benefits of an all metal second stage may suit you well. Best for cold water. They are both our highest performing regs so you wont be disappointed with performance. Should you go this route, color may end up being your last decision.

If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to ask publicly or in PM.

Good luck and happy shopping,

Zak

The V42 she dives is one sweet looking regulator!!!:14: If I had the $$$, it would have been under the christmas tree for my girlfriend for sure. Obviously, right besides a brand new V42 for me too...!!!:D

Bought my wife a Proton Metal 42 for Christmas. Previously she was diving a V32 Proton XL and let me tell you - she is absolutely in love with the new reg. She says it breathes easier and feels great in her mouth. (We went down and dove the springs in FL and the Rainbow River - over a long weekend after Christmas)

I would give you my opinion of it, but she said the only way I would get to use it was prying it out of her cold, dead hands :D:wink:

Thank you all for the great feedback - the reg sounds fabulous!

I have one quick question: can I use the V42 for diving with Eanx? The technical specs on the Mares website said 'no' but several entries on this blog on the need for special equipment for Nitrox say that most regs today can handle up to Eanx 40%. Is this the case?

Thanks!

Yes, in N. America including Canada our regulators are compliant upto no more than 40% nitrox. Take it to Europe and it's a whole different ball game. You are good to go.

Best,

I bought a Mares Proton Ice Extreme for a former girl friend after she had tried my Abyss reg setup and found it a little to big of a second stage for her as she was also a smaller person. She fell in love with the reg after she had tried it and found it easier to use as it was not as heavy or bulky as the Abyss. I have used this reg up to 50% O2 with no problems at all.

Having dove with both my Abyss regs (with no cold water kit) and the Proton Ice Extreme regs, I can say they never once have free flowed even in cold Canadian waters.

I dive doubles and own four Mares regs and they have never let me down once. A very good choice in IMHO.

I no longer have the girlfriend but I did manage to keep the regs. ; )

Hi Johana,

There is no difference between the she dives 42 and the proton 42 other than the cosmetics. It does sound as if the either would be a good fit for you. The Proton is a very compact 2nd stage, and the 42 is the smallest 1st stage in the industry. Plus I see your in Canada so the benefits of an all metal second stage may suit you well. Best for cold water. They are both our highest performing regs so you wont be disappointed with performance. Should you go this route, color may end up being your last decision.

If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to ask publicly or in PM.

Good luck and happy shopping,

Zak

I was shopping for a new reg (for me) with my wife and she spotted the She Dives 42. My reg was almost 16 years old, a Mares MR12/Voltrex and hers was only five years old. Guess who got a new reg? And a matching bag with a freaking mirror in it and cutesy little blue beads on the zipper? It just wasn't fair, so I bought myself one too...ahem, not the She Dives version.

Going to try them out exactly one week from today in Cozumel. Love that cold water diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom