Need help... should you take the O-ring out of the housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlmainer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need help...
Should you take the O-ring out of the underwater housing if it is to be stored for 6 months or so? According to what I have read elsewhere, it is best due to the fact that the O-ring could get "mis-shaped" during extended storage.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks

If I'm storing my Canon underwater housing for more than a few weeks, then I will generally remove the O-ring...for the reason that you mention. However, one of my dive buddies owns a similar underwater housing, and he says that he's never removed the O-ring...ever. He just adds a little silicone grease to the O-ring every now and then. He contends that he's had no problems with leaking. Personally, I inspect/grease the O-ring before every day of diving.

I do if I remember to. I usually take them out, inspect them, lightly grease them and pop them in a ziplock bag (they "fold" into a bit of a figure eight then lay in a circle). This bag then lives inside the housing.

i take the o-rings out if it is going to be out of the water for more that a day or two i will wash them and grease them and put them in a zip lock bag. i also will clean them and re-grease them almost every time i open the housing or change a port we have a lot of sand in the water here.

The longest I've ever left mine in has been 4 months between dives. I do clean and grease them every time I open the case though...

The replacement Sea & Sea O rings for my camera comes in a plastic pack with cardboard backing....the Oring is in a figure 8 and folded over to form 2 loops....I figure if that is how they pack for sale, it should be good enough for how I store it too. I grease them before long term storage and put them in the housing

I do the same as alcina for the housing. For my strobes however, which have o-rings heavily embedded into a flat groove for the battery compartment, I just lube lightly and then leave the doors on LOOSELY so they're not in constant compression - don't want them developing a flat side, basically.

I'd say you've got to balance taking the o-ring out for cleaning and nice storage (and keeping it uncompressed) against the potential of damaging it by digging it out. At least that's my measuring stick...

The ring in my Canon housing is in there very tightly. I took it out once, and decided the risk of damaging it was too great to do unless I had to. So, I am planning on leaving it in there permanently. I inspect it before each dive, looking for crud on the sealing surface, and put a tiny bit more grease on if it doesn't feel slick.

So far, so good.....

I keep an old O-ring on the body of the housing during storage and replace it with a newer one when I dive. The Nikonos V used to have orange O-rings (I think supplied by Southern Nikonos after servicing) that were designated for storage.

Back
Top Bottom