Underwater fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Distraction

Registered
Reaction score
OK - I know this is a risky post because some people don't like fishing, but I do. I spearfish when I can, but am conservative, in that I only take what I can eat, and only species that I like to eat.

But I was thinking about a different approach than spearfishing...

Has anyone tried taking a lure and fishing line (maybe even on an old rod and reel), and trying to catch a fish on hook and line while underwater?

To me it'd be like playing with the cat at home, where I have a feathered doodad on the end of a string which I twitch and move and the cat goes crazy for it.

I know this is totally 'Bubba', but what can I say? I'm curious. :)

Let me know what you think.

Matt

Ditto, had a spearfishing buddy a couple of years ago before I took up scuba who would use that trick on some of Sydney's beaches - in some places there are shallow rock reefs between sandbars, and were too far out to fish from shore, yet the presence of tourists on the beach made carrying a speargun an invitation for a less-educated person to call the police on you. So he would snorkle with a handline in about 5' of water, and just dangle the bait in front of the fish of his choice.

Distraction once bubbled...
OK - I know this is a risky post because some people don't like fishing, but I do. I spearfish when I can, but am conservative, in that I only take what I can eat, and only species that I like to eat.

But I was thinking about a different approach than spearfishing...

Has anyone tried taking a lure and fishing line (maybe even on an old rod and reel), and trying to catch a fish on hook and line while underwater?

To me it'd be like playing with the cat at home, where I have a feathered doodad on the end of a string which I twitch and move and the cat goes crazy for it.

I know this is totally 'Bubba', but what can I say? I'm curious. :)

Let me know what you think.

Matt

You have a barbed hook on the end of your 'doodad' when you're playing with the cat? Thought not! It all sounds a bit unsporting to me.

I like fishing and eat copious amounts of fish, so I'm no bleeding heart animal lover type. But IMHO if you're spear fishing you have to have a certain amount of skill as well as luck. But trolling for fish on snorkel or tanks sounds like you're giving them no chance at all...bit like some of the trolls on this board, in fact. :D

You can target the actual fish that you want - a lot less indiscriminate than fishing "blind" with a rod and reel. There's no trolling involved - you stalk the fish on snorkle before lowering the line (I've only stalked the fish, just never dangled the line - it was my buddy that used to do it).

As if the fish you eat that were caught commercially had any chance.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
You can target the actual fish that you want - a lot less indiscriminate than fishing "blind" with a rod and reel. There's no trolling involved - you stalk the fish on snorkle before lowering the line (I've only stalked the fish, just never dangled the line - it was my buddy that used to do it).

As if the fish you eat that were caught commercially had any chance.

Ah...guilt by association. You have on your hands the blood of countless little fishies through your complicity in your friend's actions, Scubaroo. I sense an uneasy conscience as you try to justify targeting a defenceless fish in this cruel and inhumane way!

Still doesn't sound very sporting to me. I take your point about the commercial fishing - I did tell you I wasn't a bleeding heart animal lover, and I gotta eat, after all, notwithstanding the fact that I'm carrying around three months' worth of supplies on my waist line.

By the way, you and WW call it 'snorkel fishing'...am I to take it from this that it's NEVER done on scuba? And if not, why not?

Irishdiver once bubbled...
By the way, you and WW call it 'snorkel fishing'...am I to take it from this that it's NEVER done on scuba? And if not, why not?

2 reasons: first, its easier on a snorkel, just float around and fish! Also, scuba makes noise and spooks fish. I don't spearfish on scuba either.

WW

I did shoot a fish in a farm dam once with a .22 rifle - wanted rabbit for dinner but there were none about, and I didn't have my fishing gear with me :)

Irish -

I like your sense of humor. But as anyone who fishes knows, just because you put the lure in front of their face, there is NO GUARANTEE that they will bite. :) Nothing is more frustrating than seeing fish light up the finder, feeling fish bump your line, and not being able to get a bite!

As for not being sporting...

1. The fish still has to bite. With spearfishing, all I have to do is get close enough...the fish plays no role.

2. The fish could drag my butt all around the bottom, if it was big enough. A little tug of war could be good sport.

3. You have to get close enough to deploy your lure without spooking them into lockjaw. I'm pretty sure it's a bit difficult casting underwater. :)

Anyway, I hear about snorkeling, but I, too, am interested to see if anyone has done this completely underwater. And with lures, not bait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom