Where to this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Since I'm off for four months, Carol's been hounding me to plan a warm water trip for this summer. She found an inclusive in Utila that she's into, but we're not limited to that. My interests are obvious. Wide angle and macro, reefs and fish. Love to see Whale Sharks if they're still around.

Our trip timing is pretty restrictive. The whole family's going, so we have to plan around the end of my teaching year (June 13) and my son Matt's finals at Davis (same day). He starts summer session on the 23rd, so June 14-22 it is.

Roatan, Utila, Bonaire? Any thoughts? Favorite resorts or dive outfits? Ups and downs of these and others? We've been to Coz twice, Grand Cayman, Maui twice. Would love to do South Pacific-PI, Fiji, etc., but the Flying times are so long that we'd be down to 3-4 days diving. Matthew is a new diver, about 10 dives past open water. His brother Aaron has about 30 dives and did fine in Coz and the Channel Islands. Carol and I have 300+ dives and are dive cons, training for Instructor certs.

Larry how about the Sea of Cortez?? Some of the best diving I've ever done has been out of La Paz, and that's only about a 3-hour flight from SFO. There are several good land-based operations in La Paz.
++Ken++

Larry how about the Sea of Cortez?? Some of the best diving I've ever done has been out of La Paz, and that's only about a 3-hour flight from SFO. There are several good land-based operations in La Paz.
++Ken++

I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Ken. Carol has been leaning toward Utila. Anyone have any experience with the Deep Blue Resort?

++Ken++

The Sea of Cortez far exceeded my expectations. There were more fish than I have seen about anywhere....and they were all in schools. Have you seen schools of Pufferfish???
I dove with Club Cantamar out of LaPaz. Although my gallery does not do the place justice:

http://www.myunderwaterworld.com/cortez05.htm

Dave

How about Little Cayman Beach Resort June 14 - 21? There is great diving, great service and great food. You would not be disappointed in any of it.

La Paz - water 65-70 degrees in the summer. Caribbean 82 degrees. Okay so I'm a WWW but I'll take the bath water and 80ft clarity of the Caribbean over the 40ft of La Paz. Larry, I've only been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. In late June there are Whale Sharks just about an hour North of Cancun and its almost a 100% hit rate on finding them. The drift dives are fabulous but its a little tough on the photography because of the current. June is the month I usually go and the weather is typically mid to low 80s. You can usually find all-inclusives at like the Iberostar for around $900 bucks a head that includes all your diving. If you wait until July, there are some atypical deals that run 5-600 for a week with all dives included with air from Denver. Try Funjet Vacations or Apple Vacations. Either one has some good deals time to time.
My wife, children and I are trying to plan a trip to Bonaire. There's a new Delta flight which is going out of Atlanta. You rent a condo, a jeep and get unlimited shore diving at some house reefs. You dive on your schedule and I hear that the variety of stuff is outstanding. The only other place I'm looking at is Roatan however its a bit more rustic.

I've only dived Cayman once and would love to get back. Its a little pricier than Bonaire or the Yucatan.

Back
Top Bottom