The "X"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone even hear any rumors on when the X will be out? I havent heard anything at all. Pretty bad when you cant even get a good rumor in the dive industry.

Anyone even hear any rumors on when the X will be out? I havent heard anything at all. Pretty bad when you cant even get a good rumor in the dive industry.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the post. NiTek X Beta units are still under going testing. We have a half dozen divers putting 500 hours of diving on the units. All is looking good thus far...we are as anxious (or even more so) as all of you guys who have been waiting patiently, patiently, patiently.

Our Product Manager posted a new update to the Dive Rite BLOG Dive Rite - Dive Rite’s online journal exploring the latest in technical diving

If you (or anyone on the board) has any specific questions about the testing or the NiTek X, let me know and I will get with R&D if I don't have the answer.

Thanks again,
Kathleen

NiTek X Beta units are still under going testing. We have a half dozen divers putting 500 hours of diving on the units. All is looking good thus far...we are as anxious (or even more so) as all of you guys who have been waiting patiently, patiently, patiently.

Kathleen,

Thanks for the update. Looks like a sweet new product. I have been a Nitek user since 1999 when I bought my first. It has served me well, but does not meet the needs of my technical diving pursuits. We patiently await the release of the new X. Thanks.

Jim

from the DiveRite.com Blog:

February 13th, 2008
NiTek X Beta Test con’t

Rose Sink Cave System, FL

Feb 11, 2008

My dive required using CCR so I ran the Nitek X in CC mode and compared the decompression schedules between the Hammerhead and Nitek X. I ran a set point of 1.2 and programmed my diluent as air. I had to survey the cave out from maximum point of penetration: 4800-feet to my last station from a previous dive. The display on the NiTek X made the survey work easier because of the large depth display, plus the depth reading to a tenth of a foot.

The first deco stop was at seventy feet after 110 minutes of bottom time. Usually this is where I avoid looking at the total deco time on the Hammer Head CCR Electronics or the NiTek HE because they always show more deco time than actual deco until you get to the shallower stops. Yesterday, the Hammer Head was showing 134 minutes of deco, yet the NiTek X was showing 74 minutes. I had asked the NiTek X designers to build in some type of intuitive deco stop time. I wanted to have a real deco check at depth and penetration so I knew when it was time to come home. It works in CC mode and is being checked on a similar dive today in OC mode.

The deco countdown went like clockwork following the 74 minute schedule. I watched the CNS clock on the left of the display climb. The CNS tracking is on the left side of the screen, the 9 pixel display fills up in partial pixel display so you get a more accurate measure of the CNS clock. The NiTek He would jump a full pixel on the display for every 12.5% of use. After seven pixels on the CNS clock the eighth pixel came to life as just a line, but this pushed the CNS clock to 80% and the display started flashing. The Hammer Head deco began accelerating the total deco time and matched the Nitek X at the 30-foot stop. Both the Nitek X and Hammer Head cleared within one minute of each other.

The testing is going well. A few more tech dives are needed to verify some of the alarm features. The only way to really know if the NiTek X is performing properly is to do the dives.

I guess I need to go diving again. Lamar.

Rose Sink Dive Profile 2.8.08

Posted in NiTek X, Dive Rite | No Comments »
February 12th, 2008
NiTek X Beta Test

Friday, Feb 8, 2008

Devil’s Cave System, Florida

Last Friday, I dived a NiTek X beta for the first time in awhile. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any place of note to go diving so I dropped in at our local standby; Devil’s Eye Spring. Using a conservancy factor 2 (30/75 gradient), I swam a 55 minute circuit between 90 and 100 feet of depth. The computer is easy to use; gas switches worked just as they should have. The deco matched the HE almost to the second except the NiTek X spread it between 20 and 10 ft stops where the HE merely had a 10 ft stop. So far I am quite happy with it.

Jerry Murphy

Product Manager

February 25th, 2008

The manned dives on the NiTek X are moving along without any glitches. We are now into the military testing on case integrity with extreme heat and cold testing along with interval pressure checking. We are still waiting on the back lighting to complete the production beta units. We are pushing the vendor to give us a delivery date.

More information on the intuitive decompression model: The NiTek X gas list is for the dive, just like the older NiTek HE you program in the gasses for the dive. The NiTek X assumes you will use all these gases for the dive with change points of 1.6 PO2. This allows the computer to look forward on the decompression schedule and predict your decompression. This was a feature I had asked for so I could have some real information when 2000 feet back in a cave at over 200 feet in depth. The decompression schedule shown on the NiTek HE would lead you to think you would never get out of decompression because it only looked at the current breathing gas when computing total decompression time. The NiTek X will look forward and show you a more realistic schedule. If you don’t use all the gases programmed it doesn’t affect the decompression schedule, you just don’t get accurate total ascent time information. Jerry experienced this on a dive last week when 95% was programmed in for a deco gas but he didn’t have it with him. The real decompression time was accurate but the total time was telling him he could get out earlier if he would make the gas change.

We have been asked by some customers if we will handle service repairs on the NiTek X in-house. The answer is yes. We have computer technicians dedicated to servicing the NiTek X and will offer service in the same time frame as most of our products - 72 hours turn around.

Lamar

April 21st, 2008
NiTek X Status

The back lighting circuit is finished and now the production die to mount the LED to the board is being made. The process will take a week and the boards will take a week to run after that. The NiTek X cases are in production. We should have these by the end of next week and start the pressure testing before assembly. Everything is coming together.

Lamar

February 25th, 2008

The manned dives on the NiTek X are moving along without any glitches. We are now into the military testing on case integrity with extreme heat and cold testing along with interval pressure checking. We are still waiting on the back lighting to complete the production beta units. We are pushing the vendor to give us a delivery date.

More information on the intuitive decompression model: The NiTek X gas list is for the dive, just like the older NiTek HE you program in the gasses for the dive. The NiTek X assumes you will use all these gases for the dive with change points of 1.6 PO2. This allows the computer to look forward on the decompression schedule and predict your decompression. This was a feature I had asked for so I could have some real information when 2000 feet back in a cave at over 200 feet in depth. The decompression schedule shown on the NiTek HE would lead you to think you would never get out of decompression because it only looked at the current breathing gas when computing total decompression time. The NiTek X will look forward and show you a more realistic schedule. If you don’t use all the gases programmed it doesn’t affect the decompression schedule, you just don’t get accurate total ascent time information. Jerry experienced this on a dive last week when 95% was programmed in for a deco gas but he didn’t have it with him. The real decompression time was accurate but the total time was telling him he could get out earlier if he would make the gas change.

We have been asked by some customers if we will handle service repairs on the NiTek X in-house. The answer is yes. We have computer technicians dedicated to servicing the NiTek X and will offer service in the same time frame as most of our products - 72 hours turn around.

Lamar

This is good news Lamar! It's always a little disconcerting to see 999 for deco time when leaving the bottom, even knowing there are gas switches ahead. It's comforting to be able to project gas consumption against remaining deco time in your head during ascent.

You mentioned PO2. I'm a little concerned that the new computer will be like the HE in that there's no flexibility in selection a PO2, either 1.4 or 1.6. Why not allow the user to select anything within a range, say between 1.0 and 2.0? It's kinda odd to be able to set almost any percentage of Helium or O2, but then be locked in to limited choices on the PO2.

There's lots of different opinions on the best PO2 and it changes over time. I hate to be locked into today's thinking and not be able to change as new information becomes available. It's also annoying to have the computer giving deco and PO2 alarms at 20ft on O2 just because I raised or lowered my arm. I personnally would prefer the option of adjusting the PO2, rather than the current workaround of reducing the gas percentage. As an alternative, the computer should count anything between a range, say 15 to 25 as acceptable O2 deco, and give you credit for time served. Perhaps a delayed PO2 alarm if the depth is not adjusted within a user adjustable time frame. Just some thoughts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom