New diver regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheeseman

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello! i'm just about to get certified through SSI in monterey. I'm looking for a regulator that is nice, but inexpensive. (yet another oxymoron haha) I am thirteen so my mouth size might be a bit smaller. we're travelling to hawaii this summer...will a cold water regulator work there too?

thanks for all your help guys!

Good luck on your certification.

A cold water regulator will work just fine in Hawaii. Mouth pieces can also be easily replaced. So if the default one is too large, you can get a smaller mouth piece.

What's your price range? Inexpensive is relative.

my price range is around $100-250 ish, the lower the better haha.

Given that $100 is your lower end, I assume that you're just talking about one 1st stage and one 2nd stage. The back-up 2nd stage (commonly callled an "octo") as well as your pressure gauge would be additional.

In that case, it'd go with either with:
1. ScubaPro Mk2/R290, as recommended previously. Rugged regulator, simple design. Could be used for many things later on if you decide to "upgrade".
2. Zeagle Envoy. If you want diaphram design, this is a proven one. Gets great reviews, and I dive its more expensive variant and am happy.

An alternate would be to buy a good used regulator. People are always upgrading, and good regulators can be had for 1/2 their original costs. Get it serviced, and you'll have something that'll be quite nice.

Try the Tusa-RS-130. I used one during my pool sessions and it was awesome. I was going to buy one, but I need a cold water reg for some of the dives here in Utah.

There is a thread on Scubatoys.com about the reg and how good it is for such an inexpensive one. If you buy it through Scubatoys.com they'll give you a 10% discount for being a Scubaboard member too.

TUSA RS-130 Regulator, Regulators, Tusa, TUSA RS-130 Regulator

hello! i'm just about to get certified through SSI in monterey. I'm looking for a regulator that is nice, but inexpensive. (yet another oxymoron haha) I am thirteen so my mouth size might be a bit smaller. we're travelling to hawaii this summer...will a cold water regulator work there too?

thanks for all your help guys!

Good for you getting certified at 13, you've got me beat by 1 yr. Are you going through Bamboo Reef in Monterey? If so be sure to tell Keith I said hello. To address your question, I know they have put together a great package including the Mares Rebel 12 regulator. The reg alone retails for $250. It is a balanced diaphragm 1st stage with our proprietary DFC (dynamic flow control) technology. IMHO this is one of the best value / performance regs in the industry at this price point. I feel when you are shopping down at the lower end there is a broader difference in regulator performance between models and brands. When you start getting up into the higher cost regs the difference in performance amongst most brands begins to tighten up.

When I was first certified I was on a budget as you are and had to purchase an unbalanced piston regulator. I always knew when I was at 500psi and when I was below 60'; it became noticeably more difficult to breathe. At that time my reg cost as much as the one above. The good news is with the Rebel you wont notice these issues. It is smooth and easy breathing re: of depth and air pressure.

Nonetheless enjoy your class and your new sport / hobby. It's a start to a lifetime of enjoyment and adventure. What it would be like to be 13 and going scuba diving in Hawaii... aahhhhh.

Best regards,

i use a molded mouthpiece. love it and i don't have to bite down to keep the reg from moving around in my mouth. have fun, you will really enjoy diving in hawaii.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom