Underwater Webcam research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s3rp1c0

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to poke around to see what it would take to setup an underwater web cam to promote diving tourism in my area. I have set up a number of webcams throughout the city so I am aware of the networking aspect, however this underwater things is somewhat of a challenge :wink:

Its an old tugboat wreck about at about 60' and shore/network is about 1,000' away from a dock, which is close to where I can run power/wireless etc.

Any ideas as to what kind of camera? Limitations of cabling etc? Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

t.

the Monterey Bay Aquarium has underwater webcams inside the aquarium and out in the outer bay. Try contacting them to see if they might be able to give you some insite.

Cat 5 really can't send a signal past 100 m or so without a repeater (hub would work). Wireless would probably be a bit expensive but less upkeep in the long road. I give you credit that's an amitious project.

Cool, thanks for the input... those are some good leads. I don't know if solar/wireless is going to be an option as its a little bit of a theft/vandalism target. The wreck is sunk in a narrow, active channel so I don't even know where to begin with submarine cable placing. I guess I should start with what kind of cameras are out there and how to cable them.

There are commercial submersible camera rigs designed to be hung from a boat, etc. available in the West Marine catalog, and others I'm sure. As I recall, they start at about $750. Also, a high school science teacher was setting one up at Point Lobos a while back for semi permanent installation. I think he built it himself. He was live streaming it, but I'm pretty sure it was hard wired to a modem of some sort on shore. A bouy would be the alternative for wireless sending, I think. I'm completely ignorant of this stuff, but I know there are many tech engineers lurking on board.

Underwater Video Camera

Web Cams | NOAA’s Aquarius Undersea Laboratory

Underwater Video Camera | Underwater Camera | Waterproof Camera

Good luck.

Larry! That's perfect! That camera, with built-in web server even has inputs for a sonar microphone. Don't know how useful that is but perhaps people will get a chuckle out of having their gurgly bubbles streamed across the internet. Fibre is definately an option, but I'm worried about connectors fouling up etc. I'm now thinking 300ft to the island its near, solar-powered wireless to the mainland. This might actually be do able! lol

Back
Top Bottom