Ideas for attaching a small video housing to a Mako DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the Mako DPV is not designed to have a video camera housing attached. Does anyone have any ideas or tips how to best do this? I don't want it in any locations that will stress the seals. Anyone ever done this?
Any help is appreciated.
-Chris

The Mako really doesn't lend itself to a hull-mounted camera. The thought of sticking on a waterproof lipstick camera with a remote deck may be feasible ($$$), but probably not worth the effort. Another alternative might be to mount a very small digital camera (with housing) to the nose and let it record passively - much like the X scooter CSI.

X

I have replaced the stock nose plate on my Mako with a piece of 3/16" AL (cause the stock nose plates have a history of imploding). Use silicon to seal it. You could do the same. But instead of a flat plat have someone weld a small "L" bracket to the plate too. Then tap and thread the bracket to accept a tripod like bolt up into your housing.

Poor man's CSI camera. Probably cost you $50-60.

I have replaced the stock nose plate on my Mako with a piece of 3/16" AL (cause the stock nose plates have a history of imploding). Use silicon to seal it. You could do the same. But instead of a flat plat have someone weld a small "L" bracket to the plate too. Then tap and thread the bracket to accept a tripod like bolt up into your housing.

Poor man's CSI camera. Probably cost you $50-60.

Now that is a great idea! I was speaking with a guy at Oceanic and he said that the Mako uses the same shell as the old Tekna's and the front nose plate covers up the hole where the light was on the Tekna.

Did you make the new nose plate yourself or did you have a machine shop make it for you?

Thanks!

By the way, what is a CSI camera?

I didn't want to deal with it so Steve Gamble made my plate: DPV Repair I think it was $25 plus shipping, but it fit fine and the handle covers up the edges anyway. You'd have to find someone locally to weld a little bracket to the front anyway, so you might as well find a metal working place near you to do it all.

The stock lexan plate is oring sealed. 3/16" AL plate will fine into the hole (its just the right thickness) so all you need to do is get it cut. Take out all the gunk and the oring and wipe the plastic + AL with rubbing alcohol to clean any greasiness off. Use a liberal amount of 100% silicon (the outdoor stuff both in the groove and a little on top where the handle will sit on it). Re-bolt the handle down. Let dry a couple days and you're done.

The CSI camera is a fancy option sold by Dive Xtras for their X scooter
Dive Xtras - Makers of the X-Scooter (underwater scuba scooter DPV) - info@dive-xtras.com - 206 778 7328 - X-View Camera Upgrade

Back
Top Bottom