LP Hose with Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can the hoses for Atomic, Apollo, and Oceanic regs, that have the Swivel/ball joint in them be used with Scubapro regs? I have a MK25/S600 and would like to know if this is an option to relieve some tension at my jaw.

Thanks,
Dave

The swivel hose that comes with Atomic regulators won't fit on other makes, but Atomic has a Universal Comfort swivel for non-Atomic regulators.

Atomic's universal swivel last summer was a major PITA to get hold of. They were having some kind of production problems at the time, so that may have changed. I believe though the one from Apex wil work for you and costs less than the Atomic. Apex has two types. One is the ball swivel like Atomic. The other is like two hemispheres that rotate against each other, which I do not recommend.

I would stay away from those Omni Swivels, there was a recall on them for failing while at depth. The Atomic universal swivel one would be good.

Some of the ball swivels (with the two hemispheres that rotate against each other) were recalled for safety issues. They tended to come apart unexpectedly during the dive leaving the diver with a non-functioning second stage and a rapidly emptying tank. I removed another brand of the same type of swivel (unaffected by the recall) from my regulator after the swivel failed on a friend's reg during a cave dive. I likely would have removed it anyway for two reasons 1) it tended to bend the wrong way at times during the dive with uncomfortable results and 2) more importantly, it was another point of potential failure.

Silent Diver, I'm not putting an inexpensive untested part in my main air line... sorry. I'd prefer to have a bit of stress or get a 6' hose if need be. If a well tested hose assembly is available then I'll consider it.

Silent Diver, I'm not putting an inexpensive untested part in my main air line... sorry. I'd prefer to have a bit of stress or get a 6' hose if need be. If a well tested hose assembly is available then I'll consider it.

What about expensive untested parts? I've got some $500 swivels I made in my garage I'll sell you.

Nick, very funny. For now, I'll wait and see if SP comes out with their own hose, which I have a feeling is in the works.

Can the hoses for Atomic, Apollo, and Oceanic regs, that have the Swivel/ball joint in them be used with Scubapro regs? I have a MK25/S600 and would like to know if this is an option to relieve some tension at my jaw.

Thanks,
Dave

For what it's worth, I have severe TMJ and I find that the Atomic swivel actually puts more stress on the joint when used with a long hose. In fairness to Atomic, I think this would be the case for any swivel. I haven't tried it on a regular hose but with a 7 footer, it's better aligned and lighter without the swivel.

If you need / desire a swivel, the Atomic is the best I've seen. Just not sure that it will solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom