Scuba Olympics - Fund Raiser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let the folks in Ottawa know, that an invitation has been extended to various shops around the area to participate in the "1st annual Jean Bonneau Memorial Olympics" on February 15th, 2003 in support of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. This fundraiser, not associated to an individual store, will allow divers the opportunity to meet people, have fun and stay active while raising money for a very worthwhile charity. At stake is a coveted trophy and bragging rights throughout the Ottawa dive community for a year.

Basically, the organizers are asking each of the stores to make up a team of certified divers (there's a scale to ensure that there will be a mix from Open Water on).

The events: Hurdles, Buddy Race, Speedy Sprint, Survivor, Word Jumble and Pledge collection.

Check with the shops for details, or drop me a PM, and I'll provide them.

I hope they are going to provide security putting the Ottawa shops in the same place at the same time scary thought. I guess the saving grace is the police station is right around the corner.

DivingGal once bubbled...
This fundraiser, not associated to an individual store, will allow divers the opportunity to meet people, have fun and stay active while raising money for a very worthwhile charity. At stake is a coveted trophy and bragging rights throughout the Ottawa dive community for a year.

Basically, the organizers are asking each of the stores .
Its a very good cause. Too bad the organizers did not think outside of the box and invite the large dive clubs in the area too. I understand one of them has recently been invited. There is already to much nonsense between the stores.

Kev 49 said: "provide security putting the Ottawa shops in the same place at the same time scary thought. I guess the saving grace is the police station is right around the corner."

I heard that the OPP, RCMP, Gatineau PD, JTF2, SQ, and New York State Troopers have all been put on standby.
:mgun: :copper: :copper:

RESCHEDULED....... The 1st annual Jean Bonneau Memorial Olympics on May 10th, 2003 in support of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. The event will be held at the YMCA/ YWCA at 180 Argyle Street in Ottawa. Registration will begin at 5:30pm, with the event running from 6:00pm to 9:30pm. This fundraiser, not associated to an individual store or agency, will allow divers the opportunity to meet people, have fun and stay active while raising money for a very worthwhile charity. At stake is a coveted trophy and bragging rights throughout the Ottawa dive community for a year.

The Scuba-Olympics were held, and we had a great turnout for our first time.

We had approximately 50 people show up to show their support either as participants or assisting in the running of the show. We even had the RO (a local television station) show up!

Jean's wife opened the games.... and then then fun really started. We had five teams putting their heart into the events. Before we knew it they were over. (pictures to follow)

At the wrap up, Celine presented the winning team (The Owls) with the trophy, and the organizers were able to present her with a cheque for the Heart & Stroke Foundation for almost $4,000. We have a few last minute pledges and monies to collect and antipate that at the end the charity will receive close to $4,500.

Bravo well done to all the participants... see you next year.

Back
Top Bottom