Hammond, Louisiana - got air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdiverman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know where the closest place in Hammond, Louisiana is to get a fill? I know about Compass Rose in Covington, Seal Sports in Mandeville. I am looking for something within 10 miles of Ponchatoula/Hammond.

Thanks.

The fire departments are going to be my last resort. I saw in another thread there are some concerns about the quality of air required for fire departments versus for scuba tanks. I will need to verify that I can use whatever the FD compressors put out.

The fire departments are going to be my last resort. I saw in another thread there are some concerns about the quality of air required for fire departments versus for scuba tanks. I will need to verify that I can use whatever the FD compressors put out.

I use the air from the Fire Dept. here in Slidell for our PD diveteam. They assure me the quality is the same standard as our dive shop, I have seen their results and concur. They send it to the same lab for quarterly tests. It is a pretty big compressor cascade system with the stack, high and outside (diesel fumes / CO). I haven't used it deeper than about 20' but no issues. I have heard the ppm of bad stuff can be higher in their gas as they are not under atm pressure, but like I said, here it is of the same quality. BR has a shop on Gov. Str. (Mark Smith) that may be a little closer than Mandeville. Mark

I use the air from the Fire Dept. here in Slidell for our PD diveteam. They assure me the quality is the same standard as our dive shop, I have seen their results and concur. They send it to the same lab for quarterly tests. It is a pretty big compressor cascade system with the stack, high and outside (diesel fumes / CO). I haven't used it deeper than about 20' but no issues. I have heard the ppm of bad stuff can be higher in their gas as they are not under atm pressure, but like I said, here it is of the same quality. BR has a shop on Gov. Str. (Mark Smith) that may be a little closer than Mandeville. Mark

Thanks for the info. I know I can get air in Baton Rouge, and also in Covington or Mandeville, but I was looking for a place to get gas between Hammond and Manchac so I wouldn't have to drive 60 miles just to get air before I have to then drive to the water. Mandeville is on the way to Florida, but in order to get some more dives in, I was looking for something closer to Hammond/Ponchatoula.

I will check with the local fire departments. Thanks.

I don't believe there is a dive shop within 10 miles. Last one there was closed up in the 80's. Covington is the closest.

Back
Top Bottom