Spearfishing by Freediving Only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich (UTAH)

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Several years ago, I took my first international scuba diving trip to the Bahamas where the government allows spearfishing and game gathering by freediving / snorkeling only.

Is there pressure in California, Florida or other coastal states in the USA for similar regulations?

I would like to hear from those of other countries where this is law and how the divers there look at this.

I haven't heard of any pressure to ban scuba diving spearfishing in Florida. I scuba dive and my buddy free dives, it doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems to be a personal choice.

What would be the reason?

The laws in the Bahamas are much more restrictive than you've outlined. Spearfishing there is not only restricted to free diving, it's also illegal to spear with a trigger, so only pole spears and slings may be used.

I live in Belize and it's illegal to spear on scuba here. I look at it like any other law. Whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter. Follow the law or risk the consequences of getting busted.

But I do see a bit of hypocricy here. On one hand you can't spear with scuba, but on the other there is unregulated pole spearing going on by commercial fishermen, especially near where I live, and you're hard pressed to find a snapper or hogfish much larger than the palm of your hand inside the reef. You see 1/3 lb snappers and grunts in the markets. But get caught with a speargun and scuba gear on your boat and you may lose it all and pay a big fine. ?? whatever...

I live in Belize and it's illegal to spear on scuba here. I look at it like any other law. Whether I agree with it or not doesn't matter. Follow the law or risk the consequences of getting busted.

But I do see a bit of hypocricy here. On one hand you can't spear with scuba, but on the other there is unregulated pole spearing going on by commercial fishermen, especially near where I live, and you're hard pressed to find a snapper or hogfish much larger than the palm of your hand inside the reef. You see 1/3 lb snappers and grunts in the markets. But get caught with a speargun and scuba gear on your boat and you may lose it all and pay a big fine. ?? whatever...

you missed an option:
try to lobby to change the law :D

I think Florida has made some "restrictions". Not in how you spearfish, but in where you can spearfish. It is much more restrictive than for line fishermen. Also, with changes in size and bag limits. I remember when you didn't need a license to take anything, grouper had a size limit of 12" and hogfish had no size limit. So the methods used haven't changed but other things have, which IMO, compensates pretty well.

Craig

What would be the reason?

The laws in the Bahamas are much more restrictive than you've outlined. Spearfishing there is not only restricted to free diving, it's also illegal to spear with a trigger, so only pole spears and slings may be used.

Hey Walter, thanks for the reply. I didn't know that Bahama was that restrictive. When I was there back in '98, I wasn't spearfishing, but our boat captain explained that if we wanted to eat any of the lobster that we were seeing, we would have to catch them freediving, because Bahamian Law outlawed lobstering and spearfishing on scuba. If he mentioned anything about spear guns and pole spears I didn't remember.

Is sound like Belize has similar laws regarding scuba, but they aren't enforced very well.

I don't live near the coast and thus don't hear about any proposed legislation that comes up regarding changes to fish & game laws.

I wish California had restrictive Spear fishing laws but the don't and probably never will have them.

Mexico to the south has very restrictive laws which are seldom if ever enforced.
No hunting with SCUBA Yea!! Good for the Mexicans! No CO2, cartridge powered guns or points, not over two bands for rubber powerd guns...etc

sdm

I hunt both on scuba & free diving. I prefer to keep it legal & leave the choice up to the diver.

Spearfishing is no different than any other sort of hunting. There is no shortage of people who think their way is the only way & get pretty cranked up over it. I'm more flexible & enjoy a wide variety of hunting tactics, methods & equipment. I don't hunt to make the other guy happy, I hunt for me. So it makes sense for me to do things the way that I want to, not the way someone I may not even know insists on.

Point of information
Restrictions on spearfishing are MUCH MORE restrictive in Florida than hook & line fishing.
Many restricted areas allow fishing (H&L) but no spearfishing at all. You can H&L in man made canals, but cannot dive in them. You can fish within 100yds of residential shoreline, but cannot dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom